Cast iron welding

I just wanted to say, with a bit of preheating, 99% Nickel works like a miracle on cast iron. I welded a bracket for the mill yesterday, that would be impossible to replace. It does not carry load.

Reply to
Ignoramus8473

It works even better with no preheat and a cross-peen (or the pointy end of a slag) hammer. Done properly, carrying a load is no problem. Search the old archives and you can find my approach, and Ernie's preheat approach, both laid out in detail I don't care to retype. Nothing specific to me about my approach other than it was what I was taught.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

responding to

shinestar wrote: The nickel (Ni)has good mechanical strength and ductility, and refractory, the characteristics in the air does not oxidize.

Reply to
shinestar