Why is it .............?

I just saw a trailer for Doomsday Preppers.

On it, there was a twentyish blonde girl with long hair. She was welding SMAW with just a hood and a tank top.

If they are going to generate interest, why can't they at least get it right?

I can't stand to wear short sleeves just for the dingleberries that burn into my skin layer after layer after layer .......... Got lots of white circular scars after 20 years now, where I didn't want to stop or jump and blow an x ray test. When I show people and explain what they are, they are amazed.

I've been to the skin doctor for at least fifty cryogenic burnoffs, and three of the more serious ones, the Mohs procedure.

UV rays = skin cancer.

What is so hard about that?

I guess the advertisers have to sell that soap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Many a comment has been made of my rack of three Wrangler khaki western cotton shirts in my shop, and the fact is that I will put one on to weld most anything. But I can live with it.

I pity that poor girl if a spark ever hits any of that can of hair spray she's wearing. It's gonna be b-a-d!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I can't wait for the day when the shipyard issues "retreadment" certificates rather than retirement certs. Take the slip to the dispensary and get re-skinned, go back to work.

Reply to
Tin Lizzie DL

They did get it right. Relatively inexperienced and YOUNG (read: immortal) welder making foolish choice about personal protective equipment/clothing. Happens every day all across the world.

Hopefully she'll learn, before she has lesions, scars, and brittle, cracked, leather-like skin.

Reply to
Tin Lizzie DL

"Tin Lizzie DL" wrote

I am amazed in the field. That is, just driving down the street, and seeing supposed professional sign erectors and such, welding in T shirts, and shorty cotton dot gloves, or no gloves. I did about one foot of MIG yesterday and did it in my T shirt, just out of laziness. But, I think those guys are getting a little more exposure than that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yep. As a shipyard welder, I may be called upon to tack for the fitters and not even burn a pound of wire, or I could be production welding numerous joints and pour 30 pounds with pulse / spray. Everyday is a toss-up.

When I get home, I might burn one or two rods a month, if that.

I still wear heavy jeans and leather coat at home every time I strike an arc.

Why take the chance?

Reply to
Tin Lizzie DL

"Tin Lizzie DL" wrote

Young, dumb, and full of it. Ten foot tall and bullet proof. I've had at least 50 cryogenic burnoffs, and two Mohs procedures done on deep cancers. But when you're young, it doesn't come into one's mind.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B