What is it? LXVIII

Just posted another set:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

393

It looks old and rusty, but similar knifes are used to chop herbs by rolling it back and forth through a pile.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo
338 scratch test needles to determine the karat of gold.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

damned complicated, guess I will be way of with all answers this time. Anyhow.

#388: Gauge for comparing silver(gold?)-content. #389: blind-riveting gun (no!) or air operated hammer for sheet metal work (also wrong) #390: sinter metal filter. Don't ask where it was in! #391: airless deep diving shoes. Maffia style #392: radio knob screw on tool. The inventor was without success, because the knobs are slipped onto the axle. No really, this ain't a commercial tool. Someone built it for his own purpose. Maybe to unscrew (Australian style) bottle caps. #393: for straw cutting.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller
388. scratch test needles 399. Pnemamatic blind air riveting gun 390. Antigue air compressor line filter 391. Earthing shoes to prevent staic discharge. 392. Automotive brake retaining spring tool. (Shoe brakes) 393. Inuit ULU knife. While generally can be used as an all around cutting tool, it was most affective for fleshing blubber from hide.
Reply to
Knothead

damned! This it is! For pressing those disks with the lengthy hole in the middle onto the spring and fiddling the rod from the rear throug and then turn it 90 deg.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

The knife is a Mezza Luna or half moon The tool with the screwdriver handle is for pressing on those clips that retain a spring without destroying the end of your thumb, car brakes have them. The pellet appears to be a sintered filter, perhaps for fuel.

Reply to
bamboo
390 Looks like my dart sharpener (actually they are better at removing burrs than sharpening). This one would be very shallow compared to:
looks a lot like
L.
Reply to
leflynn

Things on a loop.

Bi-directional spray gun.

Sintered metal filter.

Sandals for pigeon-toed individual.

Yellow-handled device, probably a tool.

Knife for cutting stuff in a wooden bowl.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Although it might be able to be used for that, The designed purpose is to tighten the serrated nuts typically used on toggle switches.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

damned! This it is! For pressing those disks with the lengthy hole in the middle onto the spring and fiddling the rod from the rear throug and then turn it 90 deg.

Nick

Reply to
Knothead

388) Spark plug gap gauges?

389) Used on recalcitrant students? Or possibly for ground-to-air signalling, in which case it would shoot a flare or other signal.

390) Insulator?

391) Wing-Walkers!

392) Driver for turning a knurled knob

393) ?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto
306 Brake spring tool. For removing, installing the small spring/washer that holds the brake shoe against the backing plate

393 ??, but reminds me of a cutting tool utilized by Eskimos.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

You know if it is a sharpener I bet it would be to shape a pool cue tip.

Reply to
bamboo

Looks like a skinning knife.

Reply to
Anonym

Medieval torture device Martian disintegrator gun Ant sized sacrificial obelisk Artificial gravity sandals Single serving marmalade jar opener Medieval tongue depressor Worlds shortest telegraph Hammer for nailing around corners Picasso sculpture titled "Venus flytrap of the year 2525" Ancient Chinese television antenna Hydraulic finger exerciser Battlefield skull fracture closer

Reply to
Hax Planx

Better known as shoe hold down springs.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

389: Compressed gas reaction pistol for EVA maneuvering? 391: Magnetic soles to keep from maneuvering too much? 392: Nut driver for knurled dress nuts on old toggle switches.
Reply to
Tim Mullen

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote in news:1120152373.613522.103070 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

or, for sharpening fish hooks ?

Reply to
kodiakman

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

388) A graded series of points, marked "4" through "20", starting in steps of 2. (Or is that top one marked "30"? The photo blurs when I try to make it large enough to be sure.)

My guess on this one is that it is a set of tools for cleaning carbon out of gas jets, or perhaps for enlarging them in precise steps.

389) I have three guesses for this one (in order of preference): 1) A reaction jet for moving a spacesuited man during a space walk. One trigger moves you forward, the other moves you backwards, and it is powered from a tank of compressed air connected through the handle. 2) Connects to a source of fire extinguishing foam for fires on the apron. 3) A gun for spinning up a jet turbine in an aircraft when powered by ground-based compressor. (But I would expect some kind of locking ring on the "muzzle" if this were the purpose. 390) Grinding stone (commonly called a "point", prior to mounting one end on a steel shank to allow it to be rotated. It looks like the green stones used for sharpening carbide tools if you can't afford the diamonds which do the job better. 391) These should mount on the boots of a space suit, and have magnets secured to the bottom by the Pillips screws visible. These are to allow walking in zero gravity during space flight. They keep the wearer from floating off the deck. (Is that surface on which they are displayed vertical by any chance? Is there another pair with the other side visible?) 392) This one I *know*. It is a tool for tightening the thin knurled nuts used for mounting switches, jacks, or potentiometers in the front panels of electronic equipment. I've even got three sizes of them of a somewhat different design (split collet with tightener, instead of this more open style.) 393) A knife used in cutting strips of blubber into "books" prior to boiling them down for the oil. (The "books" have a strip of the external skin as a "binding", with cuts down to but not through the skin. This is after the flensing knives (on long poles) are used to cut the skin of the whale into long strips as they are unwound from the carcass of the whale.

As a secondary option, this looks like something used in the kitchen for cutting thin foot objects like pie crusts or pizzas, or perhaps for dicing things like onion slices.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols