What is it? LXI

Just posted another set:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

345. Not seen one like this, but appears to be a calculator; "slide rule" style" 346. Leather punch?

347. ??

348. Drill chuck - end on?

349. electric motor?

350. Almost a "blunt" horse spur; although not seen one with flat 'spur' like this.

giovani

Reply to
giovani
  • R. H.

345 Stop watch with scales for speed measurement.

346 Tool for making square holes 347 Valve handle 348 Kitchen machine (mix master) chunk (or whatever) 349 Funny magnetic experiment. However, I cannot see that there is really a spool. Might be some sort of magnetic cannon. 350 Your son's mischief tool. Needs a leather patch, a rubber string and ammunition. (What is this called in English.)
Reply to
Jon Haugsand

350. Aha! Methinks you may have it :-) Perhaps a part of a shanghai, ging, slingshot, catapult or whatever name it may carry around the world. The rubber and shot pouch are attached to the holes in the two arms.
Reply to
giovani

345. A device for determining the circumference of a circle by measuring the diameter? 346. A square punch, probably for leather.

348. Drill chuck key.

349. Electric motor?

350. OB-GYN stirrup?

Reply to
DeepDiver

"R.H." wrote in news:NnDge.24693$9n1.22847 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

346 is half of a mortise & tenion drill, minus the drill.
Reply to
Anthony

346 C'mon, this is a ww'ing group! Mortiser drill/chisel 347 Some kind of little adjusting jack? 348 Part of a can opener. 349 Electric motor.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but what's acting as the commutator ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley
345. I think it's part of a planimeter.

346. A power mortising chisel (lacking the drill bit)

348. Drill chuck key.

349. Electric motor -- only one side of the insulation is stripped on the "axles" of the coil.

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

345 Its for measuring scale drawings , not sure why the pie symbol is on it. Works great for buying tile for swimming pools when you've never been to the job yet. It will have a tiny wheel for rolling on the paper.
Reply to
Sunworshipper

I think the watchmaker's term is "tachymetre". An old Omega catalog I have says that it is a shortened version of (get this) "tacho-productometer" ! I personally believe this to be a reverse-acronymics example, the original term makes perfect sense in French.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

345. A calculator that functions in a similar fashion to a circular slide-rule.

346. The chisel part of a mortising tool. A drill bit goes down the center. It is used to make square holes.

347. A puzzle. The objective is to remove the nut with the four handles.

348. A drill chuck key.

349. An electric motor. When I first made one of these, I was surprised that the motor would still function even if the insulation was completely stripped off of the coil's axle, rather than stripped only half way around the axle.

350. A sling-shot handle.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

345: Circular slide rule

346: Specialty wrench attachment (a cop-out, I know)

347: Brass gas valve

348: Faucet, business end

349: Electric motor

350: Another specialty wrench (and another cop-out)

Reply to
Matthew Russotto
345 is a Calculator - circular slide ruler in a watch style case. Russian? 346 is a mortise bit without the drill 347 is a puzzle 348 is a fire sprinkler 349 is an electric motor 350 is a slingshot handle
Reply to
Sal D'Ambra

Btw, I was just kidding about that last one. It looks like a pin wrench to me.

Reply to
DeepDiver

345. No clue 346. Woodworkers mortising chisel 347. Machinist's puzzle 348. End of a drill chuck 349. Minature electric motor 350. FIreplace kettle hooks

RCM

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

O.K. from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

345) Not fair for me to guess, since I submitted the photos.

346) Used with an appropriate sized wood-cutting drill bit to cut square holes. The drill bit cuts out wood at the center (ejecting it through the slots up higher), and the hollow chisel bends wood from around the drill hole into the path of the drill bit, resulting in a square hole. (Usually used for mortising in things like a door lockset.

347) Used for adjusting the height of something -- such as perhaps the rear of a cannon barrel to adjust the range.

348) The business end of a Jacobs style chuck key.

349) An electric motor. The coil is suspended in the two loops at the ends of the battery, and current through the wires produces a magnetic field which interacts with th field from the permanent magnet(s) on the side of the battery.

It looks as though the wires coming off from the coil are just a bit off center, so as the coil twists, it will probably lift clear of contact at at least one end, allowing it to flip around and repeat the cycle when it next makes contact (probably near the end of a revolution.)

Even if the wires were perfectly centered, if the enamel were scraped off of only one side of the wire, it would work pretty much the same, with the enamel acting to interrupt the current.

350) "Slingshot" handle (not truly a slingshot, but the only term I knew for this as a kid is most certainly quite politically incorrect, so I won't mention it here. :-)

It looks as though it is designed for the rubber bands (perhaps surgical rubber tubing) to fit through the two holes near the ends of the fork.

Now to see what others have figured out.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My Dad still has several of these.

They're labeled from a maker of aviation charts, so it probably saw application with manual navigation methods.

One is attached to strap-on knee boards. I don't recall what was on the other knee.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Actually -- it is only *partially* a woodworking group. Look at the "Newsgroups: " header. It is cross-posted to the following newgroups:

rec.antiques rec.crafts.metalworking rec.puzzles rec.woodworking

and I'm reading/posting in the second group of the four. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

As I see it, either the off-center weight of the coil, or the enamel is scraped off the contact wires only on one side. (I haven't bothered saving the images and zooming in to see whether there is sufficient detail to tell about the enamel.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols