What is it? LXXIV

Just posted another set:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

too bad there isn't a way for the responses to be kept secret till the answers are revealed and then all the responses revealed all at once.

my guesses...

424. clock weight 425. wagon wheel jack 426. slate shingle hammer 427. no idea 428. thermometer 429. some kind of cheese processing tool

Reply to
William Wixon

429 Grain Sampler
Reply to
Howard Garner

426 - Slate hammer? (used by roofers who use slate) 427 - can opener?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Bowler

428. Thermometer.
Reply to
George Weinberg

"R.H." wrote in news:RmDKe.58854$zY4.31777 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

423 - Sash weight

Gary

Reply to
GLM

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

424) My guess is that this is a weight for a complex set of ropes used as curtain pulls. Perhaps it is even bolted to the wall by the two screw holes.

Hmm ... perhaps for multiple flag lines? If it were not for the central pulley, I would think that it is designed to slide along a rope, and be pulled back and forth by another rope looped around pulleys at the ends, and attached to the screw holes in the bottom corners.

425) It looks as though it can be used either to clamp something between the two bars, or to separate them (as it is currently configured.

Presumably a pin can be removed to shift the lever to the upper set of curves for the clamping function.

426) Interesting hammer -- missing the wood handle.

My first guess was as a geologist's hammer, until I saw the claw on the side.

Perhaps it is for disassembling crates?

427) No real guess on this one.

428) This one, however, is obviously a thermometer -- with both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales.

429) I presume that there are also partitions between the cavities exposed by twisting the head.

I think that this is for sampling something, grain perhaps, at various depths in a pile. You close the ports, shove it it, rotate it to open and allow in samples, rotate it again to close, and withdraw.

There is probably a setup with equally-spaced containers to receive all samples at the same time, prior to examination by whatever means -- microscope, bare eyes, moisture tester, whatever.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: ...

You got's it...grain sampler (or other dry material also possible). W/ grain samples anyway, the sub-samples are mixed before weight/moisture testing.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

425. Wagon Jack 426. Slating Hammer 427. Horse Hoof Cleaner 418. Transfer Punch 422. Geomancer's compass, used to maximize the chi in the shop. 423. Old Shears
Reply to
axolotl

424) I'd guess it the thing on a clotheline that helps keep the lines from separating too much when wet clothes are put out to dry. 426) pick hammer - maybe used for nails in concrete? 427) a tool used for mending fishing nets?

429) a device used to collect soil samples?

Reply to
Trish
426. Slater's tool, also called a zax.

427. Timber scribe, or race/raise knife.

John Martin

Reply to
John

424: It's an angel. Possibly also a clothespin. 426: Hammer for use in survival kit

427: Tool with extra bit welded on.

428: Thermometer

429: Soil depth gauge

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

It's not used for sailing.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race? Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else? What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think the name Race is not meant to infer any particular type of racing, but is probably just a name, possibly of the inventor. According to this site the knife was used in shipbuilding:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

More than likely the "race" is a context like a bearing race or similar--I don't know enough about boat-building to put in a teacup, but...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"R.H." wrote in news:qC7Le.55990$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Is it some sort of fishing net weight or downrigger weight?

Reply to
D Murphy

Reply to
Forest Duck

I guess this is close enough to call correct, it's a fisherman's trolley weight. It was designed to travel up and down the fishing line (controlled by a second attached line) to change the depth of baited hooks.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This one is not for balloons.