Winning bid gets me a tig machine!!

You got to love those goverment auctions. About a week ago I posted here that I was going to bid on a Forest Service silent auction on a two year old Miller Econotig with cart and foot control. I thought I would just throw out a low bid, but still one that would give me a shot at the welder. Today I find out mine was the winning bid. I paid $443 for the this machine!!! Plus... I was the winning bidder on a tractor back blade for $28... and a 100,000 btu Modine power vent gas heater ( for my shop) for $54!!! Few other items too.....however... the stuff I really wanted..like a large sander, and some scrap metal went real high...go figure.......but I am pretty excited about my new welder!!!!! had to share.

Reply to
Bruce

How do you find those gov't auctions, and how do you find the local ones?

John

Reply to
John Thompson

Other than local news papers, here's some other places to look:

k7kkg

I don't suppose anyones got any links for UK or europe?

-- Big Egg Visit my ebay shop for welding and tools and stuff:

bigegg

Greetings:

Here is the USA Defense Reutilization Management Office (DRMO) website; they have an office in Molesworth, UK where they conduct sealed bid auctions. They have sold several Bridgeport milling machines that if I were close enough, I would have looked at. Unlike other DRMO's, they store their machines indoors, so they don't turn into rusty scrap iron during the several months long disposal process. There are welders all the time, large variety and even larger variety of condition. The main caveat emptor is to always look at an item in person before bidding (you can bid on the internet). I have bought from DRMO in Germany. A 16" x 8' Southbend lathe for $176.00, only problem was chuck jaws were worn. A 10" x 26" Southbend lathe for $150.00, can't find a problem with it. A brand new, unused size

32 Versamil with all accessories, A1 condition, for $600.00 (US government paid $35,000.00 for it). A nice 6 drawer machinist cabinet like the Vidmar line for $100.00. A friend bought two very large industrial sewing machines for $600.00. An Adler in excellent condition, and a Consew that typically sells for $10,000.00 used in the USA. Let's see, what else? Power hacksaw, two drill presses, and two Lisle drill sharpeners.

Good luck. Another auction site that I've found with European industrial auctions is Dovebid.com.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

Reply to