Re: J.W.Harris .030 metal core

I just found they were making .030 metal core wire for 110 V welders

> to weld 3/16" to 28 ga. steel. >
> Has anyone tried this wire? Bet it's expensive. >

I bought a spool to try in my spoolgun, but haven't run it yet. Instead I spooled some 0.035" ESAB 7100-Ultra dual-shield onto a small spool to do a critical weld.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Interesting page. I am in a shop that is qualified on metal core wire. We are using .045 and 1/16th with Blueshield 6 gas. I find it odd that there would be an advantage in using metal core for thin gauge material. Our wires are intended for high deposition in the flat and horizontal only. We are in spray mode. I am wondering what shielding gas is recommended for the metal core and what type of transfer is occurring. Our little 300 amp machine can barely handle the .045 Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Interesting page. I am in a shop that is qualified on metal core wire. We are using .045 and 1/16th with Blueshield 6 gas. I find it odd that there would be an advantage in using metal core for thin gauge material. Our wires are intended for high deposition in the flat and horizontal only. We are in spray mode. I am wondering what shielding gas is recommended for the metal core and what type of transfer is occurring. Our little 300 amp machine can barely handle the .045 Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Terrible oversight, I thought even a sales promotion should have said if and what shielding gas was required.

Reply to
R. Duncan

I am wondering if it is a flux core wire, self shielding and the marketing guys used the term metal core without knowing its connotations. Sorry for the double post. I am not as bright in the morning. Randy