wleded my first hydraulic cylinder today

in normal course of operation we re-tube 4 to 5 large construction equipment cylinders a month at work always have the staff welders do the weld out on the finished parts , but they were all out on a emergency repair and this one had to get done , I was pretty happy with the results , tig welded the root and cover passes

its normal working pressure is only 2500psi so we static tested it to 10,000 and held it for one hour like normal proved out fine ,

just for giggles we sent it out to be " radiographed " not sure what that is but the boss said it would tell us how good the weld was ,.

Reply to
williamhenry

Radiograph = X-ray.

they take an x-ray of the weld, and many types of defects can show up.

Reply to
Rich Jones

well we will find out tomorrow , all the welders are in a betting pool on whether it will pass inspection

Reply to
williamhenry

did you "dip" the tungsten even one little bit??

Reply to
dogalone

yeah I am sure I did , at least once , but that was in the root pass , I hope I got it when I ground the root pass to clean it for my cover pass

Reply to
williamhenry

well; what happened, now that "we're" on the edge of "our" collective chairs??

Reply to
dogalone

well the results are in , I am not a qualified tag welder I had four inclusions " contaminations " in my weld this was on a tube with an od of 4 .375 no voids though

I guess the inclusions were from dipping the tungsten or grit from my grinder ,

Reply to
williamhenry

most probably from an errant "dipping"; no inclusions is the biggie. at least you used the right rod, and it passed the hydro...

Reply to
dogalone

well there were no takers to be in the test room while it was being tested , but it has been on the machine for a couple of hours as I write this and they are moving a lot of rock laden earth it should be fine.

Reply to
williamhenry