wleded my first hydraulic cylinder today

in normal course of operation we re-tube 4 to 5 large
construction equipment cylinders a month at work
always have the staff welders do the weld out on the finished parts , but
they were all out on a emergency repair and this one had to get done , I was
pretty happy with the results , tig welded the root and cover passes
its normal working pressure is only 2500psi so we static tested it to 10,000
and held it for one hour like normal
proved out fine ,
just for giggles we sent it out to be " radiographed " not sure what that is
but the boss said it would tell us how good the weld was ,.
Reply to
williamhenry
Radiograph = X-ray.
they take an x-ray of the weld, and many types of defects can show up.
Reply to
Rich Jones
well we will find out tomorrow , all the welders are in a betting pool on whether it will pass inspection
Reply to
williamhenry
did you "dip" the tungsten even one little bit??
Reply to
dogalone
yeah I am sure I did , at least once , but that was in the root pass , I hope I got it when I ground the root pass to clean it for my cover pass
Reply to
williamhenry
well; what happened, now that "we're" on the edge of "our" collective chairs??
Reply to
dogalone
well the results are in , I am not a qualified tag welder I had four inclusions " contaminations " in my weld this was on a tube with an od of 4 .375 no voids though
I guess the inclusions were from dipping the tungsten or grit from my grinder ,
Reply to
williamhenry
most probably from an errant "dipping"; no inclusions is the biggie. at least you used the right rod, and it passed the hydro...
Reply to
dogalone
well there were no takers to be in the test room while it was being tested , but it has been on the machine for a couple of hours as I write this and they are moving a lot of rock laden earth it should be fine.
Reply to
williamhenry