To ground or not to ground...

It is *required* by the National Electrical Code. You can think whatever you want about its "worth" and I can disagree with your opinion, but the fact is that regardless of what you or I think, the bonding *MUST* be performed when installing a service. To make it a little broader, it doesn't matter what you or I think about them - the applicable NEC (or whatever applies locally, like the NYC code) rules that pertain to the situation must be followed.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Scary!!! tape up the socket outlets in case the electricity leaks onto the carpet or worse attacks you while you are sleeping.

Wrong group, try paranoid schizophrenics

Seriously though, Make your concerns a little clearer and I'm sure we can put your worried mind at rest.

Some distribution systems bond at the inlet to your home to provide a sort of 'virtual earth'. It cuts down the cost of the cable as there are only two conductors in the cable.

Return currents are not in competition with atmospheric or geological conditions. The return paths are carefully controlled and do not haphazardly find their own way back to the source as they see fit.

Newsey

let say it's been raining and some mild lightning has charged the ground and made it less resistive then usual ground with The Neutral Not Bonded to Ground at the Service Panel any charge from the system would definetly find it's way back into the system but Being Bonded to The EGC (equipment grounding conductor) some will most surely leak to ground through the ground bonding system which is closer to the panel than the neutral path attached to it., hence i understand Why to Bond it, But It's a Fact ! No ?? !

won't there come a day with saturated earth & increased conductivity from ground that The Neutral Currents will out perform Ground Bonding and Open a Hazard to Earth or Near Earth Potential? As if Nature wasn't enough., watch out for it, Electrodes Erode.

I'm not an Electrical Wiz, not in my own opinion, but I think the Bonded Neutral at the Home level is not worth the Apparent High Current Impact Safety and is temporal at most ...... because it is logical, a current carrying neutral will eventually leak or conduct through the Earths Resistance & Ground any thing in it's path with It's Full Source Potential., and thus any metal boxes, mc cables, conduit, etc. even You.

®oy

any arguements are more then welcome

Reply to
Newsey Person

So'., the thing is designed to Get Energy Shocks & all where we need them.. Right?

Big Deal I follow the NEC too, or i don't do it and just watch for a breakdown then Code it up again.

*some of you're writing sounds like getting an unexpected jolt is something to take light };-o so it is, that Techs have good jobs., so watt.

Your'e still gritting your teeth over my glass capacitor ? I have a

220ac motor with a squirell cage blower on it & a 110/220vac inverter on the side hhmmmm just needs a 4pin connector.

should i ground it ???? :-)

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

hey newsguy

they are too in competition: don't you see neutral is near both negative & positive potential and that is why you think it's cool to bring it down to earth,{which is totally unnesescary}

it may not crawl out of receptacle Outlet over the Carpet, but It can rise from the floor and jump ya! from your feet ...oooohhhhh

so in essence: it can shock you either way... =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

in summary: if a neutral conductor is attached by accident or design (a node) to a grounded box/panel., with all circuits at full rated or near capacity the charge on the neutral will be proportional to the maximum load on the node with respect to true ground potential.

Not that the situation is present with respect to earth being safely indoors (isolated equipment/appliances, floors, carpets, insulated shoes, etc.) But, in employing such neutral/grounding technique the potential is ever present and incrimental with respect to the load on it's components {panel, branch circuits etc} * In the event of an external or benign earth ground involving human error the system would shock a person cutting the neutral/ground path short....lesser dangerous with GFI protection., My Point of Course: not all household circuits are gfi protected.

what do you say ?

Reply to
Roy Q.T.