removing paint from aluminum

What does dilute hydrochloric acid do to aluminum? Would it remove paint and leave a nice shiny surface or would it eat holes and leave a mess? How about nitric acid?

And another question...can either of these acids be used in any form to clean rusty steel in preparation for painting?

Reply to
JoeMorgan

Many years ago I used a fairly strong caustic to remove paint from both steel and aluminum. But . . . I don't remember specifically the condition of the Al afterwards. The caustic we employed was (normally) used to clean molds which had been used for molding rubber/resin combos into clutch facings. Te caustic also did an excellent job or removing the wax residue of the mold release.

As I remember it, the Al was NOT pitted, and produced a nice finish when re-painted.

Carl Sachs

PS - After the caustic dip, the both the Al and Fe were steam cleaned.

snipped-for-privacy@here.now wrote:

Reply to
cwsachs.dejazzd.com

Why use acid? All you have to attack is the polymer binder, for which methylene chloride works great.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Acid pickling is a term for the use of acid so clean up oxidized steel. HCl, somewhat diluted, was what I used many years ago when I did it, once and only once.

You can do a search for "Acid Pickling Steel" if you want to know more about it.

Jim

Reply to
jbuch

Commercially there is/are polymeric beads that are used to "sand blast" aluminum to remove paint without harming the metal. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo