Pulley for treadmill motor question

Threaded View
I already googled and came up empty.
I have a 2.5HP DC  motor and controller that I want to put on
my drill press but I can't find a pulley to fit it.  The shaft is 17MM
(0.669") by 1" length with an additional section 1/2-13 LHT on
the end.  The original treadmill pulley/flywheel takes a flat ribbed belt
which I can't adapt to the DP.

So what to do?  Does anyone know of a source for a V-belt(4L)
pulley with a 17MM bore?  Alternatively would turning the shaft down
to 5/8 be feasible?  Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley?
Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this are welcome.

Art

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

Bore or ream pully to fit shaft.

--

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

Do you owna lathe? Easy job to bore a pulley on the lathe. Don't even think
about working on the motor shaft.

Karl

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question
actually, if you own a lathe, you could machine the pulley to accept a V
belt

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

If the stock pulley bore is too big, you make a collar on a lathe (example:
http://www.truetex.com/dcdrv.htm ).

If the stock pulley bore is too small, you enlarge it on a lathe.

And if just right, then like Goldilocks, you are happy.

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one.  I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over.  Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to take
up the difference?  Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?
Art

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question
Oops.   Make that 0.672.

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

Don't do it.
Find a lathe and do it right.
Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

Yes to what Rex says. A drilled hole will not be very round (they're
trilobal, but don't worry about it), and it will be oversize. It will have
other problems. That's why we use a drill to make a rough hole and a boring
tool or a reamer to finish it. A boring tool on a lathe is best.

--
Ed Huntress

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question

Dang, I wish I had this many choices in used machines  as the OP does in
Portland!

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lathe

Contact one of these guys and see if he'll do you a quicky
Or buy a lathe. Some of these look like pretty good deals.

Re: Pulley for treadmill motor question
Thanks guys.
A lathe it is.
Art