Pulley for treadmill motor question

I already googled and came up empty. I have a 2.5HP DC motor and controller that I want to put on my drill press but I can't find a pulley to fit it. The shaft is 17MM (0.669") by 1" length with an additional section 1/2-13 LHT on
the end. The original treadmill pulley/flywheel takes a flat ribbed belt which I can't adapt to the DP.
So what to do? Does anyone know of a source for a V-belt(4L) pulley with a 17MM bore? Alternatively would turning the shaft down to 5/8 be feasible? Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley? Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this are welcome.
Art

Bore or ream pully to fit shaft.

Do you owna lathe? Easy job to bore a pulley on the lathe. Don't even think about working on the motor shaft.
Karl
actually, if you own a lathe, you could machine the pulley to accept a V belt

Artemus writes:

If the stock pulley bore is too big, you make a collar on a lathe (example: http://www.truetex.com/dcdrv.htm ).
If the stock pulley bore is too small, you enlarge it on a lathe.
And if just right, then like Goldilocks, you are happy.
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to take up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley? Art

Oops. Make that 0.672.

Artemus wrote:

Don't do it. Find a lathe and do it right. Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.

Yes to what Rex says. A drilled hole will not be very round (they're trilobal, but don't worry about it), and it will be oversize. It will have other problems. That's why we use a drill to make a rough hole and a boring tool or a reamer to finish it. A boring tool on a lathe is best.
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

Dang, I wish I had this many choices in used machines as the OP does in Portland!
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lathe
Contact one of these guys and see if he'll do you a quicky Or buy a lathe. Some of these look like pretty good deals.
Thanks guys. A lathe it is. Art

Related Threads