Aluminum solder source?

--Well I spent the weekend eatin' mud bugs at the Isleton Crawdad Festival; lotsa beautiful mobile iron, mostly Harleys, etc. Sadly the guy who is usually there with a booth torching that goop onto the bottom of soda cans didn't make it. I've decided it would be fun to play around with this stuff but it's nowhere local. Does anyone know the exact name of that rod and where I can get some? Thanks,

Reply to
steamer

Northern Tools (formerly known as Northern Hydraulics) has a version. I've used it successfully on storm window frames, etc. I would not trust it for anything critical, but I have been able to reproduce the can trick, and I tore the bottom out of the Pepsi can before I could get the solder to let go.

Reply to
Gerald Cooper

IIRC, the original was Aluma Weld in Deland, FL.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

When I went to the State finals in Radio aircraft flying in Ca. - There was a guy / gal that was filling a bottom of a can with 'al solder' - I think it was a zinc based solder. I bought some zinc based at a hardware - in long sticks.

Real Al solder - is tin. Tin solders to Al with a good flux. Kester sells a silver box of Al solder in hardware stores.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

steamer wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Any welding supplier can order it. UTP sells a version that I have been demoing to my students for years. Useful stuff if you just need to plug a hole in an aluminum boat or gas tank.

It has too much zinc in it to have any kind of ductility, so you want to make sure your joint design doesn't allow the part to flex.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hmm, a few posts say this solder is high tin content. The data I have seen for Alu solder says high lead (80.1% lead, 18% tin, 1.8% silver). Take a look at

Are there two types?

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

The cheap "miracle rod" fluxless aluminum solders sold at flea-markets are an aluminum/zinc alloy.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You also have silver. I don't see any info on the pure tin any more. So much has happened in the solder world with this NO LEAD rules running the world of electronics crazy not.

It isn't just on the pcb - but none inside the IC or parts. That is a big step that is harder than some thought. Likely improved versions have been developed for Al.

Martin

Mart> Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn