14-MZ Futaba Transmitter

Hi,
Just saw the big single page ad in the January 2005 MA. This new
transmitter has two separate processors. One for flight functions, and
the other to run MS Windows CE for the programming. I wonder how stable
this version of Windows is? Are you going to be flying and suddenly get
a blue screen of death and end up crashing because your transmitter
froze? Or will you still be able to control the plane even though the
operating system crashed.
Just a thought. Vance
Reply to
Vance
did you happen to check-out the Price?
@ $2500.00 US - I can't find a justification for it -- I have tried to find a reason
is just a bit toooo pricey
Reply to
BBA
Actually, IMHO it goes a bit beyond too pricey and into the ridiculous! But no doubt there are those with more money than brains and we will soon see some at the local flying sites.
Reply to
Chuck Jones
It does have a few new features such as 2048 PCM capability. The RX can operate on any channel without changing crystals. The RX has 14 channels and is smaller than most 8 channel RX's today.
In a couple of years, this one will be down in the sub 1000 dollar price range. Either because they will have come out with the next best thing. Or else because they can't get anyone to buy them at the rediculous price. Besides, they got to pay the Microsoft tax.
Reply to
Vance
| Just saw the big single page ad in the January 2005 MA. This new | transmitter has two separate processors. One for flight functions, and | the other to run MS Windows CE for the programming. I wonder how stable | this version of Windows is? Are you going to be flying and suddenly get | a blue screen of death and end up crashing because your transmitter | froze? Or will you still be able to control the plane even though the | operating system crashed. | | Just a thought. Vance
Alas, you're only about the six millionth person to have that thought over the last few months. Seriously, where have you been? :)
Apparantly, the Windows GUI is only used for programming. Normal flight is handled by the more `standard' Futaba cpu, so presumably it'll keep on flying just fine if the Windows cpu did crash.
... and this isn't Windows 95/98/ME/XP/etc -- it's Windows CE, which is a bit more reliable anyways. Probably because the hardware it runs on is nailed down -- you won't be adding accessories to your transmitter.
At $2000+, it probably won't sell too well, but certainly somebody will buy it. Personally, if I had that much money to spend, I'd buy one of the high end Multiplex radios.
Reply to
Doug McLaren
Vance,
Windows is only used for programming purposes. So, if windows crashes reboot it and continue with your programming. For flying you don't us Windows
-- CiprianGug ----------------------------------------------------------------------- CiprianGugu's Profile:
this thread:
CiprianGugu
You are too correct! Again, Futaba tells us modelers what they always have, "We upped our prices, so up yours!" :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver
| >Actually, IMHO it goes a bit beyond too pricey and into the ridiculous! | | You are too correct! Again, Futaba tells us modelers what they | always have, "We upped our prices, so up yours!" :)
I guess I don't understand the problem.
Futaba made a new product, with features that no other radio offers. (Now, are these features that we need? That's another issue entirely. 14 channels? Sure. Color GUI with video and sound clips? Not so sure ...)
They gave it a massive price tag -- which isn't surprising, as it's probably expensive to make, and it does have some features you can't get anywhere else. I don't see where this qualifies as `up yours' though -- if you don't want it, don't buy it. I believe Multiplex sells a 12 channel radio for around $1000, so you can even get most of the `important' features of the 14-MZ for a lot less money.
Futaba isn't the only maker of R/C equipment out there. If you don't like something about how they do it, buy from JR, Hitec, Airtronics, Multiplex, GWS ... there's many to choose from.
Reply to
Doug McLaren
No guessing about it, you don't. It WAS a joke. However, Futaba DOES sell at what are, IMO, inflated prices. Other companies sell comparable equipment for less. As for Multiplex, it's good stuff, but I won't be buying it, either. Lots more radio than I need.
Happy New Year!
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver
If someone buys it, the price isn't inflated. If no one buys it, the price comes down or the product goes away. The market will decide if the 14MZ is a viable product. We probably all know at least one person at the local flying field who will have to have one just because it is a $2200 radio.
Reply to
Charlie Funk
Two weeks ago my LHS had eight orders for the 14MZ and most if not all of them are in my club. As soon as JR ups or matches the ante I will have one! A basic 4 channel radio is probably all I need but I have a JR 8103 and I'm going to sell it and buy the 9303. I don't need the 9303 but I want it! The point I am trying to make is that RC is a hobby, and most of us far exceed our needs with our wants. If you're a golfer you don't need a $3000 bag of clubs, but you sure as heck would like to have one. We are gadget freaks and even though we may not be able to afford the latest and greatest most of us cast envious glances toward those who can ;-)
I certainly can't afford a $2000 transmitter but I'll be one of the first at my field with the JR 16X ( as long as it has a color display and a magnesium case). That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :-)) BTW, for those who are inclined to describe me as having more money than brains, I assure you that is not the case.
Reply to
Ed Forsythe
I have a Smartphone which has WinCE as the OS, it's been 100% reliable in the 3 months I've owned it.
AIUI the CPU running the WinCE OS is only used as the interface to the setup facilities : in operation there is a purpose designed RC section that used for control in flight.
Reply to
Boo
Good for you, If I was in the right place under the right circumstances I would buy one too, just because I wanted to. Like climbing a mountain 'cos it's there. Ian
Reply to
Gerry Attric
Does anybody knows if it transmits in positive and negative shifts?...
I think Futaba should put the manual or more information in the 14-M site, not only pictures and some features... Read You Aroun
this thread:
alstein

Site Timeline