14-MZ Futaba Transmitter

Hi, Just saw the big single page ad in the January 2005 MA. This new transmitter has two separate processors. One for flight functions, and
the other to run MS Windows CE for the programming. I wonder how stable this version of Windows is? Are you going to be flying and suddenly get a blue screen of death and end up crashing because your transmitter froze? Or will you still be able to control the plane even though the operating system crashed.
Just a thought. Vance

did you happen to check-out the Price?
@ $2500.00 US - I can't find a justification for it -- I have tried to find a reason <G>
is just a bit toooo pricey
--
BBA

Actually, IMHO it goes a bit beyond too pricey and into the ridiculous! But no doubt there are those with more money than brains and we will soon see some at the local flying sites.
Chuck Jones wrote:

It does have a few new features such as 2048 PCM capability. The RX can operate on any channel without changing crystals. The RX has 14 channels and is smaller than most 8 channel RX's today.
In a couple of years, this one will be down in the sub 1000 dollar price range. Either because they will have come out with the next best thing. Or else because they can't get anyone to buy them at the rediculous price. Besides, they got to pay the Microsoft tax.
Ummm......
    Any "Auto trim" in this one?
    Dave

You are too correct! Again, Futaba tells us modelers what they always have, "We upped our prices, so up yours!" :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
| >Actually, IMHO it goes a bit beyond too pricey and into the ridiculous! | | You are too correct! Again, Futaba tells us modelers what they | always have, "We upped our prices, so up yours!" :)
I guess I don't understand the problem.
Futaba made a new product, with features that no other radio offers. (Now, are these features that we need? That's another issue entirely. 14 channels? Sure. Color GUI with video and sound clips? Not so sure ...)
They gave it a massive price tag -- which isn't surprising, as it's probably expensive to make, and it does have some features you can't get anywhere else. I don't see where this qualifies as `up yours' though -- if you don't want it, don't buy it. I believe Multiplex sells a 12 channel radio for around $1000, so you can even get most of the `important' features of the 14-MZ for a lot less money.
Futaba isn't the only maker of R/C equipment out there. If you don't like something about how they do it, buy from JR, Hitec, Airtronics, Multiplex, GWS ... there's many to choose from.
Time may be a great healer, but it's also a lousy beautician.

No guessing about it, you don't. It WAS a joke. However, Futaba DOES sell at what are, IMO, inflated prices. Other companies sell comparable equipment for less. As for Multiplex, it's good stuff, but I won't be buying it, either. Lots more radio than I need.
Happy New Year!
Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

If someone buys it, the price isn't inflated. If no one buys it, the price comes down or the product goes away. The market will decide if the 14MZ is a viable product. We probably all know at least one person at the local flying field who will have to have one just because it is a $2200 radio.
--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus
BBA wrote:

| Just saw the big single page ad in the January 2005 MA. This new | transmitter has two separate processors. One for flight functions, and | the other to run MS Windows CE for the programming. I wonder how stable | this version of Windows is? Are you going to be flying and suddenly get | a blue screen of death and end up crashing because your transmitter | froze? Or will you still be able to control the plane even though the | operating system crashed. | | Just a thought. Vance
Alas, you're only about the six millionth person to have that thought over the last few months. Seriously, where have you been? :)
Apparantly, the Windows GUI is only used for programming. Normal flight is handled by the more `standard' Futaba cpu, so presumably it'll keep on flying just fine if the Windows cpu did crash.
... and this isn't Windows 95/98/ME/XP/etc -- it's Windows CE, which is a bit more reliable anyways. Probably because the hardware it runs on is nailed down -- you won't be adding accessories to your transmitter.
At $2000+, it probably won't sell too well, but certainly somebody will buy it. Personally, if I had that much money to spend, I'd buy one of the high end Multiplex radios.
"Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the
-- it's Windows CE, which is a bit more reliable anyways.
???? CE = Crashes Endlessly!!!!!! ;-)
Vance,
Windows is only used for programming purposes. So, if windows crashes reboot it and continue with your programming. For flying you don't us Windows
-- CiprianGug ----------------------------------------------------------------------- CiprianGugu's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid $08 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid1368

I don't need 'em. I fly outside! :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

I have a Smartphone which has WinCE as the OS, it's been 100% reliable in the 3 months I've owned it.
> Are you going to be flying and suddenly get

AIUI the CPU running the WinCE OS is only used as the interface to the setup facilities : in operation there is a purpose designed RC section that used for control in flight.
--
Boo

Well, he sure was aptly named................<G>
Bill

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid 990
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid13688
Good for you, If I was in the right place under the right circumstances I would buy one too, just because I wanted to. Like climbing a mountain 'cos it's there. Ian

Does anybody knows if it transmits in positive and negative shifts?...
I think Futaba should put the manual or more information in the 14-M site, not only pictures and some features... Read You Aroun
-- alstei ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alstein's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid188 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid1368