A general good idea for most

After reading a many posts about " junk engines" - " glow plugs" - " transition problems" and many more I feel the best first thing to learn is how to set up YOUR engine, carburetor, and proper size prop. In order to learn to be a good pilot one must have an engine that will run and keep on running no mater what attitude the plane is in. ( Barring a prop strike). (NOTE) every engine is different. You don't need to think about the engine quitting while you are trying to think about what you should be doing next.

Reply to
Robert Bauer

If this is how you feel, you might want to look at trying electric power. It's not particularly cheap for big planes, but for those planes that are typically powered with engines up to .46 2-cycle it can be an affordable alternative. Not much more costly (if any) than a 4-cycle engine upgrade.

Of course, you'll need to spend more than that the first time out because batteries and chargers aren't cheap, but once you've bought these items your fuel becomes almost free and these items can be used for several planes, not just one. After that, kiss goodby all the problems you've mentioned below, along with the noise and the mess.

It's just a thought for you to consider....

Cheers,

Wiz

Robert Bauer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys

From recent experience -

Building a 40 sized electric still has quite a learning curve, even for a reasonably experienced (5 years, 10 kits) modeler. I don't think it is a suitable first plane until we get easy to put together packages of battery, motor, airframe and propellor available from manufacturers. A .40 sized ARF with a glow engine is quite a lot cheaper (considering the mean lifetime of trainers), and the local flyers can help you with it.

Having said that, you can practice dead stick landings with an electric, and go around if the approach is bad.

-- Mike Norton

Reply to
Mike Norton

I wasn't of the impression that Robert was talking about first planes, but rather second and third planes. Not many people (if any) become proficient at tuning a glow engine on their very first plane.

If you want an ARF electric power system for a .40 size plane, just call MaxCim.

They will sell you a complete electric power system, motor, gearbox, prop, controller, battery pack and all. It can be ordered with all switches and connectors installed. This is getting a little pricy, but it's available for those who want that type of thing.

I th> From recent experience -

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys