Ace Digipace II question

Does anyone know if this cycler ever needs to be calibrated? I cycled a new 700 MAH pack a couple of times before I put it into a airplane the other day. It only measured 600 MAH. I know that this cycler only discharges to 1.1 volts per cell not to zero volts but still I thought something might be going wrong.

Reply to
aeromodler

The Digipace II was offered either as "built from the factory" or as an "assembly kit" from Ace. The kit built version were/are exactly the same as the factory builts. The kit builts had a procedure for calibration ( I no longer have the instruction manual). However, I had several of these devices and once calibrated, they never changed; and I did occassionaly check. I'm sure if you dig around the Inet you will find a site that has the assembly manual.

Also note that these devices were for use with NiCad packs, not NiMh. If your 700 pack is NiMh then it is likely the cut off voltage of the Digipace will be wrong; making the discharge MA totals look wrong. For NiMh, discharging down to 1.0V per cell may get you the missing 100ma. I would guess that changing the cutoff voltage in the Digipace may require a component change. If your pack is a NiCad, then the pack is likely mislabeled or defective.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Minger

snipped-for-privacy@y33g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

If the pack was NiCad, then it is possible that you will need to do more than one or two cycles to get full capacity out of it. You don't know how long the "new" pack sat on the store shelf before you bought it. If after

5 - 7 cycles, you aren't getting full capacity, then the pack may be bad. Or as you worry, the charger/cycler may need calibrating.
Reply to
Vance Howard