Advice on foamies/SPAD

I have churned through mountains of plans and opinions on easy, cheap foam, coroplast, and other alternate building materials for model planes. I purchased the plans for the "Jet Street Fighter"

after being a little disappointed with many free plans available. It looks like it will meet my needs, which are:

1) Quick and easy to build - will be having a couple dozen built for BattleRC initially 2) Flies great but not too hard for a beginner to fly 3) Can have a gas engine mounted 4) Can be scaled up to have a heavier payload than the normal receiver (all electronics are custom + there's a PC board camera) 5) Looks good - these will be the first planes I'll be using at the flying center and people will be paying to use them, so they gotta be slick 6) Almost indestructable

I know that is a lot to ask, no design really meets all the criteria completely, without any modifications. But the advice I'm looking for is whether a foamy or coroplast would better meet the requirements? Coroplast is lighter, and can be gotten for around the same price, but it also seems more difficult to work with, and possible more fragile. Has anyone ever compared the two in that respect?

Regards,

Pete

--------------------------------------------- Coming November 2003 BattleRC is laser tag between 15 model planes, viewing live video from a camera mounted on the plane.

Peter Tracey

| 5) Looks good - these will be the first planes I'll be using at the | flying center and people will be paying to use them, so they gotta be | slick

Paying?

| 6) Almost indestructable

Well, then you want a flying wing of some sort. With nothing in front to get smashed up when they crash, because they will crash. Repeatedly, if you try to let just anybody fly, unless there's some sort of buddy box involved.

And this is assuming that the people don't intentionally try to crash! Which they most certainly will! Or you'll have people fly the plane away until it's lost (and then maybe they'll go collect it themselves.)

You're going to let people fly for $8/hr? Seems WAY too cheap to make any sort of money.

| Coming November 2003 | BattleRC is laser tag between 15 model planes, | viewing live video from a camera mounted on the | plane.

Err ... I think you're setting your sights a bit high.

Your web site shows a HUD with airspeed and altitude. I don't believe it. Unless you're getting telemetry along with the video feed, which not many people have done.

From your web site --

What kind of planes are flown? Can I use my own plane with your system?

All BattleRC planes are gas-powered flying wings. Currently Ace Sim RC's "Jet Street Fighter" is being used. BattleRC members can have the plane electronics mounted on their plane. The electronics can be mounted on any model aircraft with a .45 or larger engine, if the aircraft design allows.

Gas? Glow seems more likely. (minor nit, I know.)

And the "Jet Street Fighter" is a small electric park flier, not a

0.45 glow plane.

Good luck. I think you're in way over your head, that this is an unworkable plan at anything less than 6x that price (gotta pay a guy on a buddy box at least, and insurance for your 0.45 engine/park fliers) but who knows ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

What free plans were dissapointing and why?

Reply to
Frank Costa

Thanks for your concern, but I didn't want/need your business advice. I've spent three years putting plans together, if you're shocked that the price is that low that just means I did my job right. Flattering, really.

I was also more interested in advice on the materials, it's already planned to start off with flying wing designs.

There will be telemetry, with an ~0.09999mm range error.

Say glow to someone who isn't a model hobbyist and take note of the blank expression on their face. This service isn't targeted only to people who already fly model planes.

You're mixing up the requirements for members' planes as the specifications of the flying center planes.

Has to be 6x, huh? Funny how a couple minutes of speculation can produce such exact figures. Saying a "guy on a buddy box" makes it seem you think I'd be using off the shelf equipment, that's not the case and is one of the factors that brings the price down considerably. It's all custom.

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Peter Tracey

  1. The SPA3D is one of the faster SPAD to build. (No wood or glue is used). It's quicker than most ARFs. Coro can be painted with Krylon for a mean looking machine. It just won't look like any other standard or scale model.
  2. With a good .46 sized engine, it's a wild thing! a real hot rod for down in the weeds fun. Can loop fast and snap roll super fast. Harrier, or stop and turn around. (It's half helo)! Not real hard to fly (you might need a few hours on the Sim if you want to do well). Can be flown in a very small area. It can fly like a park-flyer or Fun-Fly..
  3. Some old guy cart-wheeled mine down the runway about 3 complete turns. Zero damage. I've put it into trees and weeds many times and have only bent the landing gear (30 seconds to bend back into shape).

I'm not sure how much payload it can haul, I've only taken up a golfball in a cup during a bombing contest. Since it can climb like BOOH, I'm sure it can haul 6 or 8 oz of video gear.

Reply to
Sand57