APC props OK for gas?

My wife went to the LHS, and brought home some "APC" props. They are 5.7x3, and appear to be made from hard grey plastic. The hole in the center is large, and they came with two different sized bushings for different size screws. Are these safe to use with glow engines? I'm guessing no, and I'm a bit irritated that the old fart at the store didn't at least ask "glow or apc?". If not for use with glow engines, anyone want a set of 5.7x3 apc props?

Reply to
Ook

that is not an E-prop size..so they are likely to be gas props.

The E props have more blade area, and a thinner section and hub ..

The glo props are slightly scimitar like.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:43:18 -0800, "Ook" wrote in :

APC started out doing glow props.

If that's the pitch you wanted, then they'll work.

They're not plastic but composite with fiber fill.

Slick designs, great props, apparently very nice folks to work with. I love 'em.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

APC props are fine for glow. Unless Im worried a bit about looks, I only use APC props. Be warned that APC stands for All Parts Cut. Hand flipping WILL result in a nasty cut. Anyway, Ive used APC props on my Magnum .91 FS, my GMS engines, OS engines, MVVS, Irvine, you name it.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Well, here is a pic of the props. It's the large hole in the center that makes me think they weren't made for glow engines.

You can see the two grey props, and the bushings they came with for the center hole. Even with the smaller bushing, it still won't work for my engines.

Reply to
Ook

As I recall we used to bush the 5.7X3 APC with 2 pieces of brass tube, a piece of 3/16" X 5/32" with a piece of 5/32" X 1/8" inside it... THe 5-40 Cox bolt will then fit

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

That is for electric. APC glow props are good. Take them back. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

If you don't mind me saying, Ook, I think you're being a bit tough on your LMS; I mean did your good lady say she wanted 5.7x3? That is pretty specific, so you got what you asked for, or, did she just say she wanted some props about 5"? a Google search for APC 5.7x3 gives a prop for IC (gas?) . In my part of the world, if I bought something that wasn't suitable for it's intended use, I could take it back to the shop and either get a refund or a credit note for future purchase.

Just my ' umble h'opinion

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:49:27 -0800, "Ook" wrote in :

Look at this thread. Apparently people sell bushings for the APC props:

You could probably make your own.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Go here:

Find the propellor that you have, and see if its intended purpose is IC (Internal Combustion - nowadays usually glow ignition) Electric, or Electric Slow Flier. You'll find that some electric props look like glow engine props, but are not as strongly built. Slow Flier props are very lightly constructed and have wider blades.

I agree with Trefor - don't jump down the LHS (or, in the UK, LMS) people for not being mind readers! ;-)

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

She said "5.5-5.75 x 3". No specific size. I don't think I'm being tough on them - some props made for electric are dangerous if used for gas - they can't take the high rpm, or so I've been told. If nothing else, they have two types of props that are not interchangeable, and that alone is a good reason to ask. Oh, well, I guess it's what I get for sending her to the hobby store for me. You would think I'd learn. Last time she offered to stop by a hardware store for me, it cost me $140. "Oh, I thought you would want this and that and this looked pretty also....". I ended up with a nice tester that I decided to keep, but the thing I wanted was only $20.

I agree 100%. Just for the record, it's not a big deal to me, I really don't care. Stuff happens. It's only a couple of bucks, not worth getting upset over.

Anyone want these? They are free to the first person to send me a mailing address. I have no use for them, and I'm not going to blow off 2 hours driving back to the store just to return them. Email me a mailing address and they are yours. matty at zootal dot nospam dot com. remove the nospam dot (Just because I'm paranoid about my email address doesn't mean they are not out to get me!)(where did I put that foil hat.....)

Reply to
Ook

| Well, here is a pic of the props. It's the large hole in the center that | makes me think they weren't made for glow engines. | |

| | You can see the two grey props, and the bushings they came with for the | center hole. Even with the smaller bushing, it still won't work for my | engines.

The props *look* like the APC electric props. The bushings that came with them confirm it -- these are APC electric props.

Considering how cheap small props are, just take 'em back and get the right glow prop.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

find it on

and show me where it says that is an electric prop.

It *clearly* states it is an 049 free flight prop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IT IS A GAS PROP.

God so many dorks on this NG.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wro

Are you such a dick in real life, too?

I know this is usenet, but it doesn't hurt to try and be polite.

Reply to
Morgans

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

So why don't you leave?

Why don't you wait until tomorrow before you post again, and maybe you will be sober, then.

Reply to
Morgans

If you talk Ook into putting that prop on an .049, .... no mattter he won't listen to you. Ook, I'll send you some props made for high RPMs

mk(dork)

Reply to
MJKolodziej

I merely stated that the only prop of that size made by APC is clearly stated on their website as being for 049 glow engines.

Its so simple to get the FACTS. It took me about 15 seconds.

The packaging the prop comes in will clearly have an E or a SF suffix if its electric. It would take the OP less than 15 seconds to look at it and see that it has not.

But no. Opinion over facts is the rule of the day. Bushism rules doesn't it?

If that isn't being a dork I don't know what is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fact is your wrong. The way that prop mounts is for SF. I use these props. I use .049 props, there's no way to safely attach that prop to the .049 and if you did it wouldn't take the revs. I was going to ask you an electric question but your current state of mind I guess I'll pass, hope you sober up soon. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Don't complain to me, complain to APC.

Typical peak RPM for that prop on an electric model would be in excess of 17K RPM anyway.

The way that prop mounts is standard for ALL APC electric props and SOME APC gas props.

Even as an electric prop (which it ain't) its rated to about 27-30K RPM.

The only real difference between E and gas props is a slight hub thickening on the gas props to take account of the 'one bang per revolution' you get on a gas engine. The slowflyer props are COMPLETELY different and are NOTHING like that prop at all. And are severley downrated in terms of RPM because they are essentially paddles on the end of slender root sections.

All I am saying is that its not an E range prop, its designed for 049 usage, APC clearly say so, and that's my position.

There is nothing unsafe about its mounting..its simply a way to adapt to varying diameters of prop shaft diameter.

What you believe doesn't alter the facts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher