Best way to permanently connect 2 control rods together?

I'm getting ready to install some control linkages, and according to the plan it looks like two of the control rods need to be permanently connected to each other. I'm assuming that soldering (propane torch and high-quality solder) is the best way of connecting them. Is there a better way?

Reply to
mwsenecal

I'm not sure what size aircraft you're talking about, but I've soldered control rods and landing gear rods together on 40 and 60 size aircraft. They have never failed me. To strengthen the join wrap the wires together with fine wire. This will give the solder more surface area to hold. Also scuff up the metal with some sandpaper to allow the solder to grab better.

Reply to
kodi946

Use emery paper, not aluminum oxide. And use an active flux.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

This is for a split elevator, or similar, right? If so, then use a small piece of copper or brass tube that both will just fit through as a sleeve. Better if you have to flatten it a bit to get them through. Then use Sta Brite silver solder (or just their flux and standard solder) to join them. It is best if you clean off any scale or oxides from the wires first with some fine emery paper. Don't use aluminum oxide as this can actually reduce the adhesion of the solder.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have soldered a split elevator setup. The plans called for a couple of locking collars around them. It probably works but I didn't like the sound of that. I took a small piece of copper tubing and flattened it into an oval shape. The two rods just fit into it. Then soldered the whole thing together. They will never separate.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

I think a soldering iron is preferable to the propane torch. The iron will only heat up to just above solders melting temp and should not damage the temper of the piano wire. A propane torch is capable of heating way above that.

Active flux and a good clean afterwards.

Don't do like a member of our club who lost a plane into the wide blue yonder when his radio failed. I was checking his next effort and noticed a great deal of corrosion around his soldered battery lead and switch. You guessed it... He'd used stick solder and "Acid flux" on his electrical soldering.

I gave him some res>I'm getting ready to install some control linkages, and according to

Bob Tomlinson

Aussie RC Enthusiast and Rugby Fanatic.

Thank heavens the USA hasn't discovered and packaged Rugby.

Reply to
adder

You can also use two wheel collars to join two pushrods together near the servo like if you have two pushrods for the elevator. One of the pushrods is connected to the servo using your favorite method the other is bent to line up straight with the one on the servo.Then level the elevator halves and tighten one wheel collar at a time when you are satisfied with your work locktite the screws one at a time. I have seen this method used on two kits G.P. Giles 202 (fourty size) and a early vectorflight extra 300. Greg

Reply to
Losh gl