CAP232 or Extra 300 ?

I am looking for my project for the comming winter. I am hesitating between the Midwest little CAP232 or the Great Planes Extra 300.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

Andre Gagnon

Reply to
Andre Gagnon

IMHO, I think the Extra is a much nicer flying plane in any size as compared to the Cap. Granted, the Cap will do some nice 3D stuff, it is more unstable and in my opinion not as well suited for pattern work......however, your mileage may vary. In either case, build it LIGHT!

good luck

Brad

Reply to
Brad Lorance

I had a Little Cap. It was a hot rod; lots of fun but you better be on top of it. Snapped on landing if you didn't keep the speed up. It was also a bigger plane than you would think. OS 91FX was a good match. .60 would be too small. I have a Yellow Aircraft .60 Extra now and it's a lot more forgiving. But the Little Cap sure made you giggle.

Rein

Reply to
Mitch

all together, I agree wholeheartedly..........I would get neither of the two.......the GP Extra sure is heavy, no doubt.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Lorance

Depends on what you want the plane to do. There's a few issues with the Cap (here's a typical review)

The issues with the control horns and plastic quality are noted by everyone that has built one that I know. And yes, it is very unforgiving of a stall

The GP is more of a sport plane than a 3d. It's too heavy for it's size to do anything more exciting than a flat spin. But, it's a better kit. Personally, I'd go for choice C, none of the above. There's better offerings out there in this genre. Can you be more specific with what you want out of the plane?

Reply to
John Alt

Thanks you guys for your answers. I want a plane to execute the acrobatic figures by the book. Sanp rolls, knife edge etc... I want to participate in contests where they judge the precision of the acrobatics.

Thanks again,

Andre Gagnon "John Alt" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Andre Gagnon

aha, now you are talking in my area! IMAC is what I live for! I guess what I would go for in a small size range is maybe the Aeroworks 60/90 Edge with an OS1.08. For a .40 size plane, it is hard to decide but a Cap is NOT the plane to use. Do some investigation and choose something LIGHT, then choose the lightest but most powerful engine you can get and be prepared to use 30% nitro fuel. You will need it for a good strong upline. There is nothing worse than trying to pull off a nice humpty-bump and struggling for power pulling over the top after you wasted all your energy on the upline.

Also, go to

and subscribe to the scale aerobatics mail list. You will learn LOTS of good info from these guys and they are always very helpful. On a side note, if you have any other questions pertaining to scale aerobatics or otherwise IMAC related questions feel free to email me privately and I will be glad to help ya out. There are lots of things to learn and among the first things is how to PROPERLY execute a given maneuver. Just let me know.......if I can think of a good .40 size plane/engine combo that I'd actually recommend I will be sure to let ya know....let me think on that one.........would you be entering the basic class? If so, you don't necessarily need a scale plane. Any plane is okay for basic which gives you more choices.......and it might not be feasible but if you can get a 1.20 sized plane or a 25% model it will definitely present better but I know money was an issue for me and still is so I understand if so.......

good luck.........if I can help, please don't hesitate to ask

Brad L.

Reply to
Brad Lorance

Definitely the Extra out of those two choices. It's not a bad plane, but think of it more as a Super Sportster in flight characteristics. IF you don't want a pattern plane, it would be a good choice. You'd be much better off with a pattern plane for this task. It's all a matter of tastes, but I'm not keen on the GP Extra, for one main reason.

There is no shortage of Extra's, Caps, Edge 540's, etc. They all look alike, more or less. You are going to end up with a plane that looks like so many of the rest, but isn't capable of doing the maneuvers they can do. I'd be disappointed in that. I bought a GP 60 size Extra 300 a few years ago and it's still in the box for that reason. I got to fly one shortly after I bought the kit, and though it's very smooth, it's not what I was looking for.

If I were going to go through the time and trouble of building something like what you are looking for, I'd pick a Warbird with a long tail moment, or a pattern plane. Build a Dirty Birdy, Kaos, etc. just for the nostalgia factor. Scores points with a lot of the older farts, er, fellows. And they fly great, are tough, simple, build easy, and last but not least, cheap. May I recommend either the Utter or Killer Chaos, depending on what motor you have.

John Alt

the harsh reality is that is you are looking for an airplane for precision competition, either one of your proposed choices are just too small. a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF would perform much better, as it is larger, and is basically a low budget pattern plane. otherwise, what happens is that you end up struggling with the smaller plane trying to fly straight, your scores are mediocre at best, and you either make the decision to go bigger, or you leave aerobatics cause you can't score higher than a 5. So do it right from the start and go with something larger. If you want to build, consider the AeroWorks 25% Edge 540 with a YS .91AC. This is a 25% airplane, and is about as small as you want to go if you want to be competitive. And if you want to go gas, the Aero Works 29% Edge or 31% Edge ARF. Those may seem like huge airplanes, but as you will see, there ain't too many .40 airplanes in IMAC. But there are plenty of 35% and 40% airplanes owned by guys that started small and immediately went larger. It used to be that Basic and Sportsman were dominated by 1.20 size airplanes, but that is no longer the case. Now anything smaller than 1/3 is small. There are lots of other good choices, but the short answer to your original question is that the Extras (in general) are softer to fly (not as snappy) as the Caps, which have shorter tail moments than the Extras, and are therefore more sensitive to pitch. But the best of the bunch (IMO) are the Edges, which are the most forgiving and fly precision very well - and have the longest tail moments. BTW, trying to get a precision snap roll from a .40 size airplane is something of a challenge by itself...go big, you will never regret it!

Paul Kopp JR SCAT Series Scale Aerobatics Competition

MasterKopp