Which Extra 300 for my Saito 80?

Hi All,

I am looking for a Extra 300 to stuff my Saito 80 in. I would like to find an ARF if possible for around $150.00.

I am told a 300 is a good cross between a fun fly and a pattern ship. I have both a Magic 3D fun fly and a Aresti 40 and would like to find a happy medium between the two.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
bushop

I have a Saito 91 in a Great Planes 40 size ARF. Your 80 should handle it just fine as well.

The only problems with this plane are found in the control linkages. If I had to do it over again I would do the following to this ARF:

1) Switch rudder over to pull/pull system.

2) Change the tailwheel to a separate unit mounted to the fuselage and spring loaded to the rudder. The rigid link provided in the kit tears up rudder servos on a rough field.

3) Mount a single servo in the tail for the elevator and add a wire joiner to the elevators. The kit uses two heavy dowel/music wire pushrods for the linkages. Removing these will easily compensate for the weight of the servo aft. You will likely need to add a little tail weight anyway to off set the weight of a fourstroke upfront.

All of this would take no more than one or two extra evenings of work.

Good luck,

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Fain

I agree with Mark. I have the GP Extra 300 40 ARF with a Saito 72 and it is a fabulous plane. I also agree with the suggestion to change the tail wheel set up. The spring loaded Sulivan is perfect for this plane.

Reply to
Dvagge