Re: Model Aircraft Structures ??

I think it is one of the best books for design. I have looked at three -

1) The basics of R/C Model Aircraft design by Andy Lennon - Very Practical hands on guide using rules of thumb and Classic Nomograms. A little difficult to understand some times as it is very consise and comprehensive. But persisting at it pays off richly. 2) Model Aircraft Aerodynamics by Martin Simons - More theoritical . A classic that is highly regarded and is very comprehensive. A must have for any designers library. 3) Designing Model Aircraft by Peter Miller - Very Very Basic. But good for begining . Dose not cover the topic comprehensively but focuses on the design of a simple sport model to illustrate just the basics of the process. Gives very practical advise on the kind of drafting equipment to buy e.t.c.

All of these books are available at amazon or

If you are mathematically minded then do have a look at the following book too.

4) Theoritical and Computational Aerodynamics by Jack Morgan (dover publications)

Hope this help. However I have yet to come accross a book on model aircraft structures and their evaluation. If you do find one please let me know at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. In fact Peter Miller points out in his book how litter regard is paid to this topic in most of the commercial kits and plans. This seems to be an area model aircrafts significantly differ in design from real ones. After all no one dies if you make a mistake here, for model aircrafts.

regards B Thomas

Reply to
B Thomas

I don't know of a book on this subject, but I can point you to a transcription of a talk given by Keith Shaw to the EMFSO club in Michigan in 1992. The talk is centered on structures for electric powered airplanes where he is trying to maximize strength while minimizing weight. I think his ideas are useful for all types of model airplane construction -- electric or otherwise.

The article is in the form of four PDF documents:

Jeff Bean

Reply to
Jeff Bean

This is very informative indeed (still reading and absorbing). Thanks Balbir Thomas

Reply to
B Thomas