Stuka with Snake fuselage decal

FYI.......

I'd always wondered if the old Revell 1/32 kit with the red and white snake decal that runs the length of the fuselage was a real aircraft. (None of my general "aircraft of WW2" type references had a Stuka in those markings.)

I was watching the old series "World at War". In volume 8, "North Aftrica", there was a shot of several Stukas flying together. One of the planes clearly had a large snake that looked a lot like the one in the old revell kit.... (The scene is only onscreen for 5-10 seconds, and is in black and white.)

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

"Bill, I built the kit when it first came out - used the decals as a template to cut scotch tape masks to airbrush the snake. There was 1 picture I remember having as a reference of the Aircraft in flight with others without snakes. I though it was the old profile series - but I can't find it.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

There is both truth and untruth in this statement.

Yes they took measurements from the Museums Stuka when they tooled the kit.

No the Stuka at the Museum does not have the snake marking, unless it used to and I have seen that aircraft in numerous trips there over the last 35 years .

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I have the Almark decals for said marking in 1/48th, but interestingly, Almark claims there is no red inthe marking but only white is used and the contrasting colour is the actual original aircraft paint of tan or RLM whatever - so the decals are only white with clear film alternating with the white. Are theyright- I don't know.

Nate Goldberger

Reply to
Nathan Goldberger

As you say it existed, or maybe they existed. Photos have been published recently, in the Osprey book IIRC, of Stuka(s) with a snake. It is uncertain if they are photos of the same aircraft taken at different times, or photos of different aircraft, as the photos do not show the squadron codes. Interestingly one photo shows what appears to be a white only snake, while the other shows a two coloured snake.

Anders "RC Boater" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Anders Svennevik

As I recall, the 1/32 Revell kit was based on e Stuka which formerly hung from the ceiling in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry...at least they used to sell it in the Museum because as I recall the markings matched the aircraft on exibit. Any other Chi-towners remember it that way?.. Anyway, that's where I got the first Revell Stuka kit I built.

The Stuka I'm referring to fell from the ceiling some years back and was (is?..) in the custody of the EAA for restoration - last photos I saw of it the wheel spats were missing.

Reply to
Rufus

(is?..) in the custody of the EAA for restoration - last photos I saw of it the wheel spats were missing.<

I've heard that story before, but the Stuka was hanging in the museum when I was there 2 years ago.

CB

Reply to
Jinxx1

Is this the photo you are referring to?

is from Airfix Magazine issue august 1974 (the only one I have) I thought it was very inspiring back then. All done by hand! After all, the hand and brush are clearly visible in the picture. What more evidence does one need?

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

Yes - it IS back...when did that happen? Last pics I saw of it was in the EAA facility, but I did manage to find these:

Can't seem to find any of the restoration, though...I seem to recall that the snake was on there at one point, but it certainly isn't on there now. The wheel spats are still missing...wish I could find some "before" shots.

Reply to
Rufus

They were often flown that way because of mud buildup around the wheels. I've seen P.23 Karas drawings without the spats too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Yes - but I seem to recall that the spats were orignally there but got destroyed when it fell. Possibly the EAA didn't or couldn't repair them. I'm glad to see it's back in the S&I, though.

Reply to
Rufus

The Stuka in question was repaired at the EAA's previous facility in southern Wisconsin (near Milwaukee, IIRC) and returned to the Museum of Science and Industry at least 15 years ago. Several photos of the aircraft taken in the EAA shop soon after repainting can be found in 'Ju

87 Stuka,' by Robertson and Scarborough (Classic Aircraft series, No. 5; Patrick Stephens/ Airfix [UK], 1977; 96 pages [out of print]), for example.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Charlie:

I wonder how much re-painting they did? That Stuka was probably the last German Aircraft in existence still in the original German 79/80 tropical camouflage scheme.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill Shuey wrote

The photos in the book I mentioned show the Stuka looking like it just came out of a BMW or Mercedes factory, so I infer that the aircraft was completely repainted. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news; I hadn't known that the paint was original beforehand.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

there seem to be a few comets with original paint left. no trops, of course. that would have been a wierdie.