Best FTC resources

I'm thinking about bying some books on Faut Tolerant Control (detection, diagnostics ( along with fuzzy, neural networks), etc) and
was wondering which books are the best in these subjects. Also if someone has an input on any other resource I'll appreciate it.
Regards
Todd
I don't know if any one book will provide everything you mention. You might look at:
Control System Safety Evaluation and Reliability, 2nd Edition by W. M. Goble Practical Design of Safety-Critical Computer Systems by William R. Dunn Safety Shutdown Systems: Design, Analysis, and Justification by Paul Gruhn & Harry L. Cheddie
All are available from www.isa.org/books
John Shaw

Thank you John and Walter for your input and I read about those books on amabon and bn.com and seem very practical and will get them eventually. Any other suggestions on more theoretical books, let's say at the modeling level?
Regards,
Todd
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:29:33 GMT, "Walter Driedger"

Todd,
You should be looking for works of Ron Patton. He has coauthored a few books on fault tolerant control and various methods of doing it. In the previous posts hardware redundancy approaches were illustrated. I would hazard a guess that those systems Walter described were actually fault operational, and not fault tolerant. Nevertheless, analytical redundancy is widely used, as well. Also, it is worth mentioning that fault tolerant control encompasses passive and active approaches. The former is kind of robust control, the latter makes use of active diagnostic information, which is performed by fault diagnosis methods.
Below are a few references for you to start. If you want some more information, please get in touch with me off the list.
Andrey ---------------------
Fault Diagnosis in Dynamic Systems: Theory and Application by Ron Patton, Paul Frank, Robert Clark (Editor) * Hardcover: 602 pages * Publisher: Prentice Hall; (November 1989)
Robust model-based fault diagnosis for dynamic systems / by Jie Chen, Ron J. Patton . - Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, cop. 1999. - XVIII, 356 p : il. - (The Kluwer international series on asian studies in computer and information science; 3) . - ISBN 0792384113
ISSUES OF FAULT DIAGNOSIS FOR DYNAMIC SYSTEMS Issues of fault diagnosis for dynamic systems / Eds. Ron J. Patton, Paul M. Frank, and Robert N. Clark . - London : Springer, cop. 2000. - XXV, 597 p : il . - ISBN 3540199683
GERTLER, Janos J Fault detection and diagnosis in engineering systems / Janos J. Gertler . - New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc, cop. 1998. - XX, 484 p : il . - ISBN 0824794273
CHEN, Tinghuai Fault diagnosis and fault tolerance: a systematic approach to special topics / Tinghuai Chen . - Berlin : Springer-Verlag, cop. 1992. - XII, 197 p : il . - ISBN 3-540-54962-5

A new phrase to me. Please explain the distinction. I do remember pulling boards out of my DCS controllers at random and watching the fail-over messages pop up but absolutely no process control interference. It sure seemed like fault tolerance to me.
Walter.

Walter,
You are absolutely right that your system had fault tolerance. However, since you saw no changes when you caused a controller malfunction the setup was fault operational, that is, it could continue without any loss of performance. That is the best case and the most expensive one. Fault tolerant systems, in contrast, are able to maintain operation although with eventually degraded performance if a fault occurs. I think I won't be wrong if I say that most research activity in fault tolerant control concerns this type of systems, because they do not require redundant hardware but instead use analytical redundancy or the like. Finally, the third type of systems is fault-save, that is, those that are brought to a safe state in the event of a fault.
The above is based on the definitions of IFAC SAFEPROCESS commettee. I have just looked up some links and this one is very good: http://www.control.auc.dk/ftc/html/body_terminology.html
But according to this list your system may also be referred to as fault-tolerant. Well, the terminology dust hasn't settled yet :)
Andrey
Thanks for the link.
Walter.

"I'm thinking about bying some books on Faut Tolerant Control (detection, diagnostics ( along with fuzzy, neural networks), etc) and was wondering which books are the best in these subjects. Also if someone has an input on any other resource I'll appreciate it."
'Your original post gives the impression you have the preconceived idea that fuzzy logic and neural networks are somehow a solution to this question. There was a quote a few posts up the list, "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche.'
My interpretation of the original post is "fuzzy logic and neural networks _may be_ a solution to this question".
"Neural nets act based on an accumulated history, i.e. experience. The occurrence of a fault in a control system is supposed to be a rare event. Thus NNs would not have any experience to go on."
This would be true only if the training data set is poorly designed. I don't see why rare events couldn't be handled through common statistical procedures, such as stratified sampling.
-Will Dwinnell http://will.dwinnell.com
"I'm thinking about bying some books on Faut Tolerant Control (detection, diagnostics ( along with fuzzy, neural networks), etc) and was wondering which books are the best in these subjects. Also if someone has an input on any other resource I'll appreciate it."
Try the FAQs for comp.ai.neural-nets or comp.ai.fuzzy here on Usenet or Will's Technical Book List, at:
http://will.dwinnell.com/will/willTechnicalPublications.html
-Will Dwinnell http://will.dwinnell.com
"I'm thinking about bying some books on Faut Tolerant Control (detection, diagnostics ( along with fuzzy, neural networks), etc) and was wondering which books are the best in these subjects. Also if someone has an input on any other resource I'll appreciate it."
I forgot to mention in my other message that you might want to look into the sensor fusion literature. I'd suggest "Multi-Sensor Fusion: Fundamentals and Applications with Software" by Brooks and Iyengar (ISBN: 0139016538) as a start.
-Will Dwinnell, MBA http://will.dwinnell.com
Thank you all for your useful suggestions!
TM