Cleaning gunk with washer fluid?

A buddy and me got into the topicof what we used to clean our models after a flying session. He mentionned he uses auto windshield washer fluid- the winter type, not the summer fluid, as the former contains alcohol. Sounds like a good idea, cheap, and is readily available. Has anyone tried this? Interested to know what various other products are used and how effective they are. Me, I have always used Windex.

Reply to
Kelly Shamash

I have used Windex and lately I have been using baby wipes to clean off the aircraft after a day of flying. John

Reply to
John Graham

I keep a box of tissues in my flight box. After each flight, grab a couple and remove most of the obvious oil.

At the end of the day, after cleaning off most of the gunk I simply add some methylated Spirits to the tissue to remove the rest of the oil residue.

Both are cheap, and easily obtainable.

Bob in Aus

Reply to
Bob

wahser contains isporopyl alcohol. A good solvent as it rarely attcks anything.

I used too use washing up liquid in the 60's, after squirting the plane with fresh fuel :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Denatured alcohol and paper towels.

The alcohol cuts right through the oil residue, usually one pass is sufficient.

Good way to get oil off your hands, too.

Since I keep a gallon or two of denatured and a case of paper towels on hand in the building shop anyway, not a problem to re-stock the flight box.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

One thing I do is to wipe the plane with paper towels first. This gets rid of a lot of the residue. Then I use some sort of cleaner. Getting rid of a lot of oil first makes the whole process easier.

Arne

Reply to
Arne

"Cheap and readily available".... I've been using "Simple Green" for quite a while (years). You can buy it concentrated at places like Home Depot etc. and the gallon I bought several years ago is still 3/4 full. Being a concentrate, you only use about an ounce to a quart of water. Better yet, YOU can determine the strength by varying the mix so if you want more grease cutting action, just use more.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I use 50-50 Formula 409 and rubbing alcohol. Works great. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Hey, I'm really cheap! I use a couple of squirts of Dawn dishwashing soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. Works for me.

RCFlyr sed that!! d:^)

Kelly Shamash wrote:

Reply to
RCFlyr

I use baby wipes, get them cheap from the market. Usually they do the trick but if it's really bad then I also use the Mr Muscle, Orange Kitchen spray stuff.

Reply to
Nick Lambert

Someone tol' me the Orange stuff was bad for moneycote

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Buy one of those Scotchbrite cleaning cloths. I wipe off the gunk off with a paper towel and use it to wipe off the rest., and my glo models clean up without using anything else.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee