Competitive Fun-Fly not yet totally out of vogue

What a day? 11th Annual Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Fun-Fly, Jetero RC Club, Inc. near Houston TX was, IMO, a resounding success. 4 separate round/events, each with 2 tasks, all designed to be competitive yet able to be performed with high wing trainers, were completed on a somewhat windy day but sunny and low 70s by noonish. 2 rounds had multi-plane tasks. By past experience a turnout of 15 contestants was hoped for, and plans made to accommodate up to 20 were accomplished. WOW! 28 pilots registered by 9:15 and the fun was on. Sure glad there were extra score-sheets, etc. $10 landing fees were divided for places 1-2-3-4 overall and 1st for each round. The club retained 15% to pay for the balloons/helium, and other expenses. Hot dogs chili pie etc. were available for lunch by the kitchen crew. We finally got to flying just before 10AM and finished at 3:30 PM. Club members and outside contestants all jumped in and helped with judging and time-keeping. New fliers with trainers all seemed to enjoy trying the event. Even a couple sport scale models were entered and we had one electric that did very well. This CD was extremely pleased that so many did so much and a great variety of modelers came together for a good day of just "PLANE" fun. Thanks to all and to the One up there that gave us such a nice day.

Reply to
cainhd

Glad to hear that you all had a good day. Who puts the "fun" in fun flies ? Well you do, of course.

Reply to
Bill E. Nomates

Glad to see some clubs still have F*U*N* fly events -- not the cut throat all serious competition stuff. Well done, Horrace -- Lyman

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Yep and that's COOLLLDDD! (;-))<

Actually, in the AM when I arrived at the field about 7, it was about

45*. By 9 AM I had shucked one jacket. By noon the sweat shirt was off and by 1PM it was in the high 60s. Had a 8-12 mph west wind direct cross from about 10 - 12AM. It shifted to a Nor.Nor.--West wind, 10-15 mph throughout the 12 -- 3 time period, but mostly almost down the runway. That added a few degrees chill factor. However, being the tough and ready types that we are, we managed to survive these atrocious elements so different from the normal 65--75* 0

-- 5 mph wind winter days. It must have been the weather that kept us locals from preventing that seasoned mountain-man, Mark Stroh, who came from Evens, Colorado just to whip our butts and win 1st place. Oh, the shame of it all. (;-((< (Really -- just joking. Mark is a fine gentleman and a good buddy of one of our more prominent Pro-Bro club members.)

Reply to
cainhd

Heck Horrace -- you've got a heat wave! Here in North Central Florida, we dipped down to 30 with frost Sunday and again this AM. Nasty rains and wind really hurt the usually huge turnout at the Deland Big Bird Fly In.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack