Davis Diesel experiences?

| What neither you nor Mike seems to understand is that what | Doug said was not meant as a put down. Pity.

Right. It was not a put down, and I was not offering pity either.

It seems that whenever you're looking at products of some particular type, there's the low end, the middle end and the high end stuff. The low end stuff generally performs poorly, the middle end stuff performs a lot better and costs a little more, and then the high end stuff performs a bit better than the middle end stuff, but costs a whole lot more. Ulitimately there's almost always a `sweet spot' where you pay a little more than the low end stuff, but get most of the performance of the high end stuff.

This seems to be most pronounced in things like computer CPUs (where it's not so confused by many different brands), but it seems to apply to R/C engines too. And in the case of the 0.40 sized two stroke engine, the `sweet spot' appears to be the Thunder Tiger 0.46 or 0.36 Pro engines. I've heard the GMS engines are good too but have no personal experience with them.

The OS LA engines are definately the low end. I've got a few, and they work, but they just don't work that well. It just seems that any ball bearing engine is a lot better than any bushing engine, and well worth the small amount of extra money.

It's also a pity because I was thinking I had some old engines that Mike might find useful that I'd give him -- after all, he only lives about 30 miles away, and it sounds like money is tight. If he's going to have a marginal engine, he might as well get it for free or at least cheap. But I hadn't really done anything more than consider it, so I shouldn't be surprised that he went out and bought something.

| Mike looks for issues to fight over, as I have recently | discovered.

I hadn't noticed it before (as I've talked to Mike here before, many months ago), but I've certainly noticed it recently. And since it's even been directed at me lately, I don't really feel so helpful anymore.

| I have no time for that behavior or attitude.

Looking for issues to fight about isn't so bad, as long as you pick good ones. I wouldn't consider following up to spam just to say `spam!' a good fight, but some seem to differ.

| And I really don't care if you don't like it, Mike, so save your | fingers some unnecessary typing.

Sounds reasonable, though people rarely seem to listen to this sort of request. Getting the last word in is pretty important to many, even if it ends up cluttering the group with lots of off-topic junk.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I couldnt agree more with Ed and Dou

-- jeepXJking9

----------------------------------------------------------------------- jeepXJking96's Profile:

this thread:

jeepXJking96

I have used the DDD heads on 3 engines: OS 61 fsr, Fox 74, and ST 90.

I have got them all to run, but am a little disappointed in them. could never get them to turn up like the ads say. I did experimen with the same prop's with a glo head for comparison. The engine always made 200 to 300 rpm lower than glo, but the diesel could run a a cooler temp and give you the ability to run that prop without burnin up( if you needed that). Now mind you, I don't claim to be a diese expert so a learned diesel needle guy might could have eecked out better compression/ mixture setting. It was the best I could get it t run with my experience, and setting compression and air fuel for caramel color exhaust. I was never happy with the transition-- to slow. I did like the idle and restarting traits.

I have used a RJL conversion for the OS 40 fp($20) and like it alot. also decided to try a designed diesel, the PAW 35. IMO, the diese advantage is better with the smaller engines. I have seen some buddie use .15's and under and they are fantastic. I will try the small one next.

Just for the record, the RJL conversion has a 20 fp carb on it. I runs every bit as good as the PAW. I think the small carb has made BIG difference in that conversion. Throttle response is so much bette I don't think it is the brand of head, only a good test bed by luck o the draw-- this engines porting and timing/ carb lend themselves t good diesel operation. I will try some more in the future. They ar expensive enough to be frustrating when you are unhappy with th result. I think that most of those heads run in the $50 range.

Please don't take this as a negative. I just wanted to give you m honest opinion. I will try more. The diesel engines have alot o torque on the low end of the power curve( from idle to 1/2 power). I is amazing. I also think that propping for that power curve is different science, and I need to try a few more to be sure.

They are much quieter in operation. In fact, they sound very cool. They almost sound like a little Harley chugging at idle. The exhaus note is alot softer. The only gripe will be the smell of the fuel. I is very strong.

good luck, turb

-- turbo.gs

this thread:

turbo.gst