DIY Radio Update: FCC

I received a response from the FCC this morning...
"We agree that you may build the device and operate without a certification from FCC. This is true since the module
you are using is already certified, and you are not changing the design that affects the RF specifications.
Also since you are not manufacturering this product in mass quantities, and intending to market to the public for sale, then the certification is not needed for this reason as well."
For reference, I had found the following two documents of direct relation to this issue.
Transmitter Module Equipment Authorization Guide http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id2935
UNDERSTANDING THE FCC REGULATIONS FOR LOW-POWER, NON-LICENSED TRANSMITTERS - OET BULLETIN NO. 63 http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oe t63/oet63rev.pdf
Brian

Well done! Keep us posted if you decide to take the plunge. It should be a lot of fun.
                    Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*,
talk.*

Well, I've been doing alot of the 'R' part of R&D while waiting for replies. I've been reading a lot of spec sheets and deciding what parts and chips I need. I already have the microcontroller chosen. It's one I've had my eye on for some time. Darn thing is more powerful than my first computers! What's really cool is that the modular nature of this system is going to reduce most of the work to just a lot of programming, which is my preferred method.
The one thing I've been having the most trouble finding, though, are the joystick gimbals. I can find all sorts of industrial joysticks like used on heavy equipment, but so far only one of the type used in our radios. I am beginning to wonder if the radio makers have them made in house. I do have some unused 'toy' RC radios I could scrounge them from, though.
Brian
On 11/19/2010 12:52 AM, Skywise wrote:

Look on Greedbay. I bought a pair of them from a hobby shop in Indianapolis (I think) a few years ago. They were about $10 each.
BobH
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 00:52:36 +0000, Skywise wrote:

You might also check the online forums like rcgroups and rcuniverses for sale sections. You can find 72Mhz tx for cheap that are still good.
--
To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

| The one thing I've been having the most trouble finding, though, | are the joystick gimbals. I can find all sorts of industrial | joysticks like used on heavy equipment, but so far only one of | the type used in our radios. I am beginning to wonder if the | radio makers have them made in house. I do have some unused | 'toy' RC radios I could scrounge them from, though.
If you were in Austin, I could hook you up. I probably have a dozen of the old gold case Futaba radios -- all wide band and not legal for use now (and not worth trying to update, even if it were legal), but still too nice to throw away.
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?