Spectra module

Does the Hitec Spectra module work with the Futaba 8U or 7U ???

Reply to
Jim P.

Yes. However, it will only work in PPM mode; not in PCM.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Interesting, mine works in both PCM and PPM modes. Performance is flawlwss in the 7U, but some 8Us may have problems with excess curent drain and getting it to start transmitting.

What may be more important is the fact that the AMA has taken the position that such use is illegal. Should you have an accident while using a module from a different manufacturer than your transmitter, they might not honour an insurance claim.

I use mine in my Futaba gear only for testing.

Jim - AMA 501383

Tom M> Yes. However, it will only work in PPM mode; not in PCM.

Reply to
James D Jones

I find it interesting to note that the more the AMA forbids, the more disclaimers we find people offering. But the real interesting part is the way these disclaimers seem to come from otherwise loyal AMA members! Members who will no doubt take offense to my observation here.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

My experience is only with the 9Z which has firmware built in for a synthasized module. This programing is designed for use with the Futaba TSS RF module and, of course, will not in any way control the Hitec module. Having said that, the Hitec module does work on the 9Z, but in my experience, only when transmitting on PPM. It may well be unique to the 9Z and may have something to do with the 9Z's firmware and what that firmware is detecting in the RF module.....and my experience with this is at least 6 years old. BTW, I did this check just to see if it would work as I was aware that the Hitec module was successfully being used with the 7U. I also assumed that the apparent 9Z PPM/PCM restrictions would also apply to the

7U/8U.

Reply to
Tom Minger

The Hitec Spectra module also works in the 5U and 9C. The original post asked only about the 7U and 8U. I hadn't considered that it might work in the 9Z at all, since Futaba doesn't certify the FP-TP-FM module which is normally used in the 5U, 7U, 8U & 9C for use in the 9Z. I assure you that the Spectra module PCM operation is fine in the 5U, 7U, 8U and 9C.

It seems that the FCC requires that every transmitter which uses a module be certified with the specific module which it will used. The certification is actually with the module, however. The module has the circuits which actually are the RF transmitter.

It isn't entirely fair to blame the AMA alone for the current state of affairs. It is, after all, FCC regulations which are responsible. Only Futaba can solve this problem by submitting these transmitters for certification with a synthesized module. Earlier this year it looked like that was going to happen. The Futaba catalog actually showed a listing for such a module for the 9C. No such module has actually been made to my knowledge.

Jim - AMA 501383

Tom M> My experience is only with the 9Z which has firmware built in for a

Reply to
James D Jones

It gets worse.

The R309DPS synth receiver is shown as DISCONTINUED on the Tower site.

Reply to
the-plumber

James,

I was wondering why it got yanked from their catalog. Hadn't thought about certification & FCC.

Still hope Futaba does come out with a synthesizer module for the 9C. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.1, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Tower actually lists the 9C synthesized module as expected late October,

2004. This will probably end up as an optimistic schedule. I just checked and it has been pushed back to late November 2004.

Tom

Reply to
tom

I'd put my money on there being a patent issue with Hitec. My guess is Futaba's synthesized module came out very similar in design to Hitec's.

It would be nice.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

| Tower actually lists the 9C synthesized module as expected late October, | 2004. This will probably end up as an optimistic schedule. | I just checked and it has been pushed back to late November 2004.

Of course, at one point, it was listed as expected in Feburary 2004 ...

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams

:)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Last time I checked, it was NOT the AMA that forbid using this. It was the FCC.

Reply to
Me

| Last time I checked, it was NOT the AMA that forbid using this. It | was the FCC.

There is some confusion about how the FCC feels about it. I've seen convincing arguments for both side (usually given in the context of user changable crystals.)

In practice, however, the FCC doesn't seem to care. If you ask them directly, they may say they care, but they're not likely to actually do anything. They certainly will send out nasty letters (and hit you with fines if you ignore them or don't fix things) if you broadcast in the wrong band, or cause interference for others, etc. but they're not likely to get on your case for using the wrong branded module in a 0.5 watt R/C transmitter (especially since it all just works fine.)

The AMA does prohibit it as well, and they're pretty explicit about it, but where they've got you is insurance. In theory, if there's an accident and they determine that the module/transmitter were not FCC certified, they could deny the insurance claim on those grounds alone, even if that's not determined to be the cause. That's a much more realistic threat than a `stop doing it' FCC letter.

| > > I use mine in my Futaba gear only for testing. ... | > I find it interesting to note that the more the AMA forbids, the more | > disclaimers we find people offering. But the real interesting part is the | > way these disclaimers seem to come from otherwise loyal AMA members!

What's so interesting about that?

| > Members who will no doubt take offense to my observation here.

Sorry, but there's not really anything there to take offense at.

Really, Futaba needs to just get off their butt and get the synthesized module out for the 9C/8U/etc radios and make the issue moot.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

What Doug said!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

The issue is really not what rules the FCC chooses to enforce or whether they give a s**t one way or another. The fact of the matter is the combination of the Spectra module in the Futaba transmitter is not certified and therefore not legal. The real issue is giving the insurance company and the personal injury Attorney any ammunition. Lets say you use this, "Uncertified" setup and something happens. Someone gets hurt REAL bad, or even killed. First thing that happens, the equipment is impounded. Then it's subject to forensic investigation. Their report notes the Spectra module in the Futaba transmitter. Since this is not certified, the insurance company has now been handed a golden door which they use and refuse to pay. Next, the personal injury attorney takes you to court and a bleeding heart jury awards the plaintiff big $$$. Since you are now basically alone, guess who is at risk of losing EVERYTHING. Even if you won in court, Attorney fees will still be more than what you spent in the hobby for twenty years flying turbine powered jets. As a Network Administrator for two Law Firms, I can tell you that things like what is described above happens all the time. Is it worth the risk? Bill

Reply to
Me

Many people think that because they CAN gain access to the crystal, that it's a user-changeable module. If you pay attention while you pop out the snap-in cap for the first time with a screwdriver, and/or pry the crystal loose from a gob of hot glue, you'll realize that those measures were meant to discourage you from changing the crystal. In other words, to make the crystal NOT user-accessible. Having to use tools and/or break things to gain access to the crystal should raise a red flag in your mind, that maybe you shouldn't be doing it. A user-replaceable module can be removed without tools, without breaking anything, and without disassembling the radio.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I can remove the crystal in my Flash 4, my 6taxs, and other radio's without any special tools, and no mods, just pull the cap and it's out, guess if they really didn't want us to change crystal's they would have soldered them into the board.

Reply to
Robert Williams