Re: How do I repair a single fiber hinge?

thanks, a newbie ====================== You do not remove the old material; you cut new slots beside the old ones. If you can cut the slot and work a new hinge in without cutting off the others, that would seem like the fastest way to get it done.

Reply to
Carrell

Seems right to me. You could put one hinge in at the very tip of the aileron, working from the outside. Should hold for a while.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Reply to
Mike Norton

You unfortunately have to cut all four and replace them. Think about it for a second, though... All four were put in at the same time, and one of them is broken... Do you really trust the other three?

All you need to do is trim the hinge flush, then cut a new slot beside the existing hinge.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Yes, the hinge at either end of the aileron can be replaced without removing all of them. I've done it successfully. Move the hinge position to the very end. Not difficult.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

You can also make a monokote "X" hinge to replace the failed hinge. Basically, an X hinge consists of two or more strips of monokote that are alternately ironed on either side of the hinge line, forming the letter "X" as viewed down the hinge line. (Best to do a google search to find out exactly how to make them) They're quite easy to make and are surprisingly strong. I have one on my Astro-Hog that been in use for several years and hundreds of flights and shows no signs of wear.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

While I have no idea whether this is helpful or not - there was an article in one of the mags this year on making sown hinges using special thread (kevlar?)- from what I can remember this would be an easy way to make one replacment hinge without too much fuss

David

Alan Harriman wrote:

Reply to
quietguy