How do I remagnetize magnetic sterling silver jewelry clasps?

I purchased a magnetic jewelry clasp and feel it's a bit weak. Is there a way to re-magnetize it?

Reply to
Liza

It probaly can't be easily magnetized to be much stronger than it is already, unless you feel for sure that it was once stronger and has really been been demagnetized.

Better to replace the magnet with a high energy type. If you pick an appropriate size you can probably mount it with epoxy.

Try looking at what this company has, there's some very samll ones on their website, and they are amazingly strong, psarticularly if you use a pair of them pulling on each other.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Find someone who has a Sonicare electric toothbrush. They replace the brushes periodically. Each discarded brush has two little supermagnets 0.1" x 0.2" x 0.4". These are STRONG magnets. You could slice off a smaller piece to suit with a Dremel and abrasive wheel or diamond wheel. Go slow, don't let it get too hot. Might be best to do it wet. You might wrap the magnet in paper so most of the dust from the cut can be removed with the paper . Then epoxy or superglue the wee bit to your jewellry.

You might be able to just nick the magnet with the diamond wheel, then crack it with pliers. Less dust.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Some of those are so powerful..Im not sure Id be comfortable having a woman I care about using a pair to hold her earrings on with. The blood blister would be hidious.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

You can get really good tiny magnets in every AOL box you get as junk mail. Just dig the matnetic latch out, and the keeper too if you want that too.

Reply to
Nick Hull