Lagun Lathes

Hi Guys,

I have been checking the FAQ's and Google for information and opinions on Lagun Republic lathes. I am asking for advice and opinions from the members of this group. I currently own a South Bend Heave 10. I am a hobbyist and enjoy having quality machinery. I have looked for quite a while for used Monarch's (10EE) without much success. The machines I came across needed too much work and quite frankly, I was intimidated by the electrics and the problems associated with them.

I read this group religiously and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge that people are willing to share. I am also confused by the many opinions expressed about the various lathe manufacturers. It seems that everyone has a favorite brand or model lathe and for the neophyte it can be quite confusing. Some love LeBlonds others hate them and that seems to be the case for most lathes.

I went to a used machinery dealer recently and he had a Lagun/Republic lathe that he uses in his shop. He likes the machine a lot. It looks like a Clausing Colchester copy. I was impressed since he has many brand lathes in his shop but he chose this one for his use. It is an inch/metric machine.

Any advice or comments are sincerely appreciated.

Joe..

Reply to
JB

[...]

Lots of good info on Monarch lathes at the Practical Machinist web site, which is a web-based forum and has searchable archives.

Google should find it pretty easily.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Hey Joe,

Only seen two that I recall. Both seemed OK, certainly much better quality than say a Grizzly or other like that, but not as nice as maybe a TOS. Lots of Lagun mills around, and they rate better than an actual Bridgeport.

Take care/

Brian Laws>Hi Guys,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Decent lathes. Most are Taiwanese..some are Chinese. However..they are made very well, for the commercial manufacturing industry, so are lightyears ahead of a "consumer" lathe .

I would rather own a Lagun knee mill, than any bridgeport.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

I would be very wary of any used machinery or used car dealer that told you that one is his favorite. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

Hi Gary,

In fairness to the dealer, he did not say it was his favorite. He said he like them a lot. It was my observation that with a shop full of machinery, he used a Lagun lathe for his needs.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
JB

Just out of interest, what's your objection to the Bridgeports? Some day I want to get a mill, and a Bridgeport was pretty high on my preference list...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Keep in mind..that the term "Asian Import" is a catch phrase like "fast food"

As you may well know..Miyano, Mori Seki, Whachoen are all " Aisian Imports" as is Mitiyoyo

Not all Asian Imports are created alike.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

While the controls are basicly the same..and indeed are in effect copies of Bridgeports..compared to a much beefier Lagun..a Bridgeport is Gumby. Much less rigid. And with any miller..rigidity is the key.

A Gorton Mill Master ( 1-22) is still beefier yet, though it has some issues (like a shorter Z travel) and a lack of parts. Ive used all of them..own a Gorton, when I could have owned any of them. Shrug..if I get another..it will likely be a Lagun, simply because of the longer Z travel and ease in purchasing parts.

In fact..I may have one shortly. Shrug. Depends on if the owner wants a newer one or not.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Would that also include if he said a Hardinge HLV-H or a 10EE were his favorites?

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for the opinion. I'll bear it in mind if I'm looking for a mill. When I used a Bridgeport I thought it was a nicely made machine, and didn't have any problems with accuracy, but then I was machining aluminium. If I had my own mill I would most likely be machining steel much of the time. A guy offered me a 60" machine at a good price a few years back (think it was a Cincinnati) but it seemed a bit big and I didn't have the cash to buy it there and then.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Gunner,

Agreed. I had four LT-2's at my last shop. They all had nice hand flaked tables and alot of travel.

Do they make them in Taiwan now ?? I think mine were all Spanish

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

There's two large Laguns at the machine shop at work. The fellows there also told me those were Spanish. I wasn't aware that Laguns were Asian.

Reply to
gfulton

"gfulton" wrote in news:2c7b0$43499693$a2276371$920 @ALLTEL.NET:

They are Spanish.

D Murphy

Ill have to check again..but the last several knee mills I paid any attention two, were badged Taiwan.

Perhaps they are like Delta products?

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

I thought Lagun was made in Spain. see:

Were some made in China?

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

Evidently some were indeed made in China..according to a post from someone who contacted Lagun