rc newbie

Took the wife for a doctors appointment about 85 miles from home, and had most of the morning to kill, so made the mistake of buying a magazine "Backyard Flying" to kill some time.... Oppps, wrong move! Mostly deals with RC electric models and one caught my attention - World Models J-3 Cub EP. Anyone familiar with this model, or could recommend something better to get your feet wet in this hobby?? I'm not interested in competing with Patty Wagstaff, just some good realistic flying...

Background = 160 hours Cessna 150's back in the 60's with Private ticket and written passed for instrument & commercial but right eye went to hell before going for commercial aspirations, avid M/S Flight Sim flyer for the last decade+ (only thing still affordable :-), and retired electronic field engineer by trade.........

Thanks.

Cheers'n Beers.. [_]) Don

Reply to
Don Parker

Dang Don... I was going to tell you about this wonderful newsgroup. But you had found it anyway. Good job!

Bill

Reply to
BillW50

then its time you joined teh meerry bunch of prankstere on teh E-zone

and spent at least a couple of months reading up on the topic.

Costs nothing and will save you from expensive mistakes.

You need to get Real Flight G2 simulator then, and learn to fly the planes from OUTSIDE (remarkably difficult for most FS pilots it seems)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good morning to you Bill, Tx for the reply over at the FS group. Looks like Xmas may come early this year!! (:->))

Just what I need - another $$ hobby.... Probably need to investigate the local hobby shop (small town) and see if any club exists before getting too wrapped up. In the mean time I'll induldge in a little more self education as TNP suggested, and check out Real Flight as it seems to be the sim of choice in these parts.

Reply to
Don Parker

WORLD MODELS J3 Piper Cub thread

Beginner Parkflyers

aeropal

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:cigudg$oji$5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

I've trained several FS pilots to fly RC, and they seem to fall into two categories: those that think they already know pretty much everything they need because they fly FS, and those who consider RC to be a new skill for which FS may have some relevance. The first group have most of the trouble, of course, and the perspective issue is a good part of it.

Now that I think of it, the second group tend to be very pleasant students to work with.

Reply to
Mark Miller