Re: 900MHz launcher Q

"bit eimer" wrote in news:nU1Pa.72$OP.70@fed1read04:

Replying to your later message: > > No, there is nothing wrong with your idea per se. In fact, I believe > that some of the commercially (garage-shop) available launchers use > just this approach. > > Unfortunately, while this may work for sending the "launch" signal, it > doesn't support additional communications (especially back from the > pad), like "igniter shorted", "FET shorted", "igniter open", etc. > > Also in my case, the controller will manage 8 pads/pad unit and "n" > pad units, so the 2-3 channels you mention would be insufficient. >

I don't know how complicated you want to make this, but you could use a microcontroller at each end - something like a PIC

or a Rabbit2000 based system, and use an 802.11 communications link (wireless ethernet). Most of this stuff is plug-n-chug, but is not the cheapest way to go , and does require some computer/electronics savvy. The advantage is that you could make it almost endlessly expandable, you could have all sorts of status signals, and it could be made jam-proof.

Reply to
Dan Major

Hmmm, since I'm on the 900 MHz path already and it basically works like a radio bridge for a serial port (that is to say, simple), I think I'll stick with that. I was really only curious about the FCC licensing question - whether one is technically required to get some kind of "development" approval.

I suspect that even for 802.11, when you build a module into a product, you still have to get FCC compliance approval for what you're selling (even though an operator's license is not required), just like all 900 MHz phones require FCC approval even though they operate in an "unlicensed" band. Does anyone out there in the audience have an 802.11 device they could check to see if it has an "FCC compliance" sticker or some such label?

This complexity pales in comparison to that of the rest of the code I plan to write for this little box.

Thanks again for the input.

.-- ...The Bit Eimer [remove keinewurst to email me]

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

bit eimer

Why not just contact the FCC directly and ask them?

Telephonic Inquiries to Commission Staff

General Inquiries will be referred to the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau (CGB) immediately. The voice telephone number is:

1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322), and the TTY number is: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322). CGB will respond to such inquiries within two business days. If unable to fully respond within two days, provide an estimate of time based on the complexity of the inquiry.

E-Mail: General and Status Inquiries

General e-mail should be sent to: snipped-for-privacy@FCC.GOV. CGB staff will acknowledge such inquiries within two business days. If unable to fully respond within two days, provide an estimate of time based on the complexity of the inquiry. Total time will not exceed 20 business days. Bureau/Office staff will acknowledge status inquiries within two business days and provide an estimate of time for a full response, based on the complexity of the inquiry. Total time will not exceed 20 business days.

Reply to
Diane

bit: I have a 802.11 network access point and usb nic and they both say FCC listed... and both have an FCC ID...... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Gosh, why didn't I think of that?! ;^)

Reply to