dog fighting

It used to be a practice among line controllers to dogfight (cut your opponent's line). Is this still done? Any of you guys try it? Probably gets pretty expensive when you loose :P Is there a counterpart for RC fliers?

Reply to
Noah Roberts

Are you asking if a bunch of oversized children ever thought of smashing their flying toys together? I seriously doubt it. ;)

The slope gliders have a form they call combat where you try and knock the other gliders out of the sky. There is also a form for smaller planes where they have streamers that the opponents try and remove, ala flag football, though sometimes they collide as well.

All it takes is more than one willing combatant and an agreeable set of rules, one of which is that the parciticipants should expect their plane to be demolished sooner or later as most forms of rc combat involve close interaction with the planes.

You could probably do a laser tag thing too, but stay away from actual projectiles. Yes, paintballs count as projectiles.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Cant figure out how you can do that, unless the control lines are of unequal length. Also cutting steel wire is not easy with a wood or plastic prop.

Way back when I had a go at control line (50 years ago) dog fights were all the rage - but they were about cutting a streamer that each plane had attached to its tail

David

Noah Roberts wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

"X-Port for exciting optional plug-ins like the Sonic Combat Module"

I guess that is non-contact stuff, apparently it temporarily turns off your opponents engines. I have not flown anything yet, so I really have little idea what that is about, I just recall that from doing a little research.

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
strathboy

Noah, there are AMA sanctioned RC combat events out there in which a long streamer is attached to the tail of each plane. The object is to cut as many streamers as you can without getting your own cut. It isn't full contact, although midairs do take their toll. Most of the combat planes are designed to take quite a bit of abuse and most fly on a .15 to .25 engine. RC Report has a monthly column on flying combat, and there are several vendors who sell combat kits.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Some of us fly RC combat.

We tie streamers to the tails of the airplanes and try to cut the streamers.

Sometimes we miss and hit each other's planes.

It's a lot of fun, by and large.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

RCR had a monthly column. I think it's been cancelled.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Uh WHAT disaster? The destruction of yet another cookie cutter boomtailed/foam winged combat plane? Yep some people bring a whole quiver of planes to a meet. 4-6 isn't uncommon. RC combat is even MORE UNSAFE...I would suggest that strathboy go back to bed he might get hurt walking. Strathboy C/L combat has ONLY been going on since the first two guys flew two different models at the same time in the same circle...no deaths from it that I ever heard of. You haven't flown until you did it in a circle... I remember when the cheap hot combat setup was the Combat Kitten 2pack and a Cox Golden Bee with a TeeDee jug/piston swapped on for a little more power...some white Topflight props(almost unbreakable...but I have) and yes I remember when Moneykote made that kind of flying cheap because you could fix a hole with either tape or scrap moneykote and a Zippo.

Simply put safety is an illusion my boy, just an illusion.

AAMOF I STILL own my first set of motors, even the ones we blew up.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I learned that if you aim for the streamer, you always miss. However, if you aim for the aircraft you only miss mostly.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Remember the Magnum PI episode where Higgins and his friend were staging aerial combat with radio controlled aircraft. Magnum was awoken by the noise, and he picked up a shotgun, stepped outside and went BOOM.

I guess electric are much quieter, heheh.

Reply to
John Doe

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:39:08 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Uh, the plane flying out of control, and into a pilot or spectator. That kind of disaster.

Yes, the lines could break of their own volition, and any number of other circumstances could occurr that would cause the plane to go out of control. However, such accidents are far less likely to happen if you aren't intentionally trying to destroy the very means by which the plane is being held under control!

Safety is an illusion, but we don't have to go looking for accidents, or give accidents any more reasons to happen than they already have.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Since we're discussing the issue. Does anyone have an opinion about the method of dogfighting I mentioned? Maybe it's been expressed but I don't see it.

How about the (advertised) type of dogfighting using an add-on module which can momentarily turn off your opponent's motors?

Mostly curious.

accidents,

Reply to
John Doe

You don't get around much, do you?

/daytripper (first combat meet: 3 head-ons and a cloud of foam fragments ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

<

I guess you could reach around to your opponents lines with a sneakily concealed pair of snips and ....... twing......twang.......

muttley-esque hehehe Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not line cutting, but streamers attached to teh tail

Done with RC too, or the modern equivalent - a beeper that goes off when someones transmitter is pointing at yur model (a small transmitter mounted in the plane that is)

You can buy the kit from somewhere or other - combats systems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, let me just say that I never have flown any RC Combat, nor hae I flown a Firebird. That aside, I looked at the link and I think it's a gtreat idea! Although, I think 10 seconds is a little long. It should be adjustable.

FWIW, Kev

Reply to
KevinM

Yeah, its called Slope Combat. You use EPP slope planes, usually looking like WWII fighters and try to knock each other out of the sky. Great fun! I think the glow equivalent uses specialized planes with streamers.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I have one of these kits stashed in the shop. Havent built it due to lack of somebody else (willing!) to be bashed into.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople