Epoxy/Alcohol mix for fuel-proofing?

Big snip>

Also much cheaper and easier to clean up.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

I have watched this thread with interest.

I have always used 50% denatured alcohol to dilute the epoxy. My reasoning was this: I don't need a shiny coating inside a compartment. I just need something to keep the fuel and oil from penetrating the wood. A diluted epoxy doesn't form a hard coating, but penetrates the wood quite a ways. The result seems to be immune to small amounts of mechanical damage; I have never had to repair the fule proofing, nor have I had any evidence of oil in the protected wood.

For what it's worth --

-- Mike Norton

"Marc Heusser" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.bluewin.ch...

Reply to
Mike Norton

I ran into this problem a few years ago when glassing over epoxy joints on a model boat hull . Seems as though I remember it NOT curing over 5 minute but working OK over 30 minute...or vice versa. Have you had a similiar experience ? Ken Day

Reply to
Hardwood

No, but it's a well-known problem in the fiberglass industry. My dad owns a shop that makes fiberglass car parts; he was contemplating switching to epoxy-glass and that was one of the barriers.

Reply to
Tim Wescott