fuel proofing v.s. weight

All though the manual doesn't mention the issue I will be fuel proofing the firewall of my H9 Twist. In the past I would fuel proof both the exterior surfaces and the fuel tank compartment with a couple of coats of thinned epoxy. My questions are:

  1. Given that the twist is supposed to be aerobatic I want to keep weight to an absolute minimum, so... is fuel proofing the tank compartment critical and how many coats to the exterior surfaces are enough?

2.Is there a lighter method of fuel proofing than epoxy?

I have seen what leaking fuel and exhaust residue will do to balsa and light ply so I want to protect as much of the aircraft as possible but I don't want to compromise performance.

Reply to
nate

The amount of epoxy needed to fuel-proof the plane shouldn't be noticeable. The range of engines available for that plane would have about 10 times the difference in weight than the epoxy. If you are really concerned about it, use a wood prop instead of a plastic one. That will save more weight than the epoxy will add.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I wouldn't bother to fuel-proof the tank compartment. Use 5 minute epoxy thinned with about 10% rubbing alcohol. Go easy there, it doesn't take much to thin it. You can also use CA. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Er ... I thought nitromethane was a CA solvent. Although I never worry about oil on CA, I avoid using it on structures that may be exposed to a lot of raw fuel.

-- Mike Norton

Reply to
Mike Norton

Clear Polyurethane Paint does a good job of fuel proofing the engine compartment and for sealing the edges of the Ultracoat covering and doesn't add any weight at all.

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Unless you put the epoxy on a quarter inch thick, it won't add any significant weight (maybe a few grams). Mix the epoxy with alcohol to thin. It might be a good idea to do the tank compartment if you are using the stock tank. I have seen the stoppers come out of a couple of them. Some take a spray can of polyu and give the tank compartment a few shots.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Reply to
Mike Gordon

Reply to
Brad

Any mom and pop type paint store should have denatured alcohol. Mitch

Reply to
MEpst22487

If you fuel proof the tank compartment the tank wont leak. If you dont fuel proof it,the tank WILL leak. DOUG

Reply to
Courseyauto

Reply to
Brad

The good thing about acetone is, it's a lot cheaper than denatured alchol and you can clean you brushes with it and it gets glue and paint off real good. If you thin the epoxy so it's real thin it will soak into the wood and stregthen it also. DOUG

Reply to
Courseyauto

Lowe's or Home Depot..........

Reply to