Futaba 7UAF Super

I am thinking of buying one of these radios. I'm only going to use it on a trainer and and a Zagi for now. I'm getting a Somethin' Extra a little later.

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on this radio. Also I am able to get a 8U (Non Super) for $70 more. Is it worth the extra money? I know if it was a super it would be for sure.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris B

Possibly the best radio Futaba ever made. I owned two of them, and I've been sorry since I sold them.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I had two super 7's and have had an 8U for a number of years. (sold both Super

7's after a year with the 8U) If your gonna be in the hobby for some time and you use multiple models, get the 8U. The digital trims are great, as well as having a model name show up rater than a number. It doesn't take long to go over 4 models.

Phil

Chris B wrote:

Reply to
Phil

Thanks for the input. With regards to the 8U is the super mich better than the regular 8U?

Reply to
Chris B

Thanks for the response. I just bought one off E-Bay.

Reply to
Chris B

Up to a certain point in time (say, around 8 years ago), the Super7 was the best radio Futaba made. HOWEVER, by today's standards of computer transmitter capabilities, it's a dinosaur and even though it's a good radio, it's not something I would buy on purpose. The same goes for it's successor, the 8U. Sure you want to save money, but it would be cheaper in the long run to start with a REAL "Super" radio by going with the Multiplex EVO (best, first choice for it's programming capabilities) or for less money, the Futaba 9C. Comparing the Super 7 to (for example) the MPX EVO is like comparing an original Futaba Gold Box 7FGK to the Super7, i.e., there is no comparison. In IT'S day, the 7FGK was the best radio Futaba made, but those days are gone for the 7FGK and the Super7 and/or the 8U.

MJC

"Chris B" wrote in message news:ybZ7d.142481$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Reply to
MJC

I may be ignorant here, but I don't think there was anything else BUT the

8U. I don't think there was a "super" of the 8U, but I am prepared to be flamed if I am wrong.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

No flames here but, yup, yer wrong... There was a "Super" version of the

8U...

Not many changes made, but there was a 8U**S...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

In a perfect world I could afford that. Anyway that wasn't my question. It's not even practical for me to have a 9C. Like I said I'm flying a Zagi and a trainer.

Reply to
Chris B

What's new with the Super?

Aero

2nd aileron servo programmable for using a 5ch radio & twin servos. In the past the flaperon function required the 2nd aileron servo lead to be plugged into channels 6 or 7. Now in the parameters menu the modeler can select 2nd ail out to be 5 or 6/7. FS data direction changes automatically when throttle channel dir is rev. This change means that if you reverse the direction of your throttle servo using servo reversing, the computer automatically enters your PCM fail safe settings and reverses the position of the auto-kill for your throttle servo. For example, if you have your FS set to bring your throttle servo to 20% from its base, if the programming did not reverse this when you reverse the servo direction, then your FS condition would be 20% from the top of your stick, or an 80% throttle condition. Digital trim buttons now have a beeper when moved past center. Trainer function now has function/normal modes Stop watch now has a power-switch ON mode D/R and Expo are now set individually for left/right and up/down. 5 normal mixes and two 5-point mixes Snap roll function has safety mode

Helicopter HELI mode?in condition mode 3 rates are available.

4 swashplate types?SWH1 (std) SWH2 (CCPM) SWH4, SR3, SN3 (see Glossary for added information) Offset rate changes with digitrim when function is activated. 3 offset rates now available (8u only had 2) Gyro mixing ("Gx") has normal and condition modes; the normal mode moves to swa automatically when invert switch is active. Governor mixing now available and has normal and condition modes.
Reply to
Gavin

So many forget that most sport flyers don't need, and can't afford a freakin' $500 radio! The 7UAF has all the features most sport computer radios have now. It's 7 channel where most are 6. If it comes with servos, they're probably

148s, which is a better servo than the 3003 or 3004 ever had time to be.

If anyone out there doesn't want their old, out-moded, antiquated 7UAF, I'll be glad to take it off their hands and give it a good home. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

No big argument about that (in general), Dr1, but don't forget what it costs to add servo reversers, Y harnesses and such (to EACH of your airplanes), and you could easily put an additional $80 into each aircraft installation that you probably wouldn't have to if one had a newer, capable radio that allowed that kind of programming to be done in the software. And that's not even mentioning the additional features you get that you didn't even know you need but couldn't live without once you try them (like timers, Flight Phases, higher number of model memories, throttle Expo, free servo assignments rather than hard-wired assignments... the list goes on). That's why I say that it's cheaper "in the long run", to get a newer radio. But it's also likely that a person would see immediate savings by going with a new computer radio. Finally, our transmitters are truly THE focal point of our "RADIO" CONTROL hobby, and I've found that I get a lot more enjoyment out of the airplanes I build and fly BECAUSE of the incredibly capable radio that I now own (EVO12/synth). Why is it that we will spend $200 to $1500+ several times over for additional airplanes that usually have a limited life span (you know what I mean :-), but spending just $500 or so for something that is crucial for our enjoyment of the hobby AND WILL LAST FOR MANY YEARS is so hard to do?

MJC

"Dr1Driver" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com...

Reply to
MJC

The 7UAF doesn't need add on servo reversers.It has a timer and it holds 4 models in memory..

Reply to
Chris B

This may be flogging a dead horse, but the 7UAF had only one memory. The

7UAFS or "Super Seven as it was fondly known had four memorys...

I liked mine, but I foolishly bent a few airplanes with it by forgetting to switch the memory to match the correct plane.

The 8U** and 9C all but eliminate that problem with Alpha characters to "name that plane"...

Much mo' bettah, I garontee...

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

If you forget to switch the memory to match correct plane don't blame the radio. Alpha or numeric won't do much of a difference. As a matter of fact I did forget to switch the model on more than one occasion on my 9Z with the model name and all. What saved me from crashing was the fact that I use mix of FM and PCM Rx's and they are on different channels, but did I scratch my head for the first few seconds when I switched the radio on and there was no servo response. I still have my old Super 7 as a backup to 9Z and would have no problem at all with flying it if needed.

Reply to
PETERWOJ

It's prudent to check for correct servo direction before EVERY flight regardless of what transmitter is used.

Happy Flying, Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'm impressed!

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I hear 'dat, Bill. That's EXACTLY how I lost one of my favorite giants while I was waiting to take delivery on my new Evo12/synth (one of the last flights I made with one of my two Super 7's which I immediately sold after getting the Evo). If only I had waited...

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Also, don't forget you can have a new 9C for $250-290 without the flight pack, or a 7C for $150 likewise.

(Servo City or Bruckner Hobbies)

Of course, with the 9C Super just announced, there may be deeper discounts on the regular ol' 9C!

Reply to
ScottK

It is possible expand the memory of the 7UAF

-- manoradi

this thread:

manoradio