Flight Box Finish; What?

-- I have assembled a new flight box and would like to put a clear finish on it. I was thinking of a water based Varathane. Does anyone know if that is fuel proof (nitro)? Are there any other recommendations for a clear fuel Proof finish? All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the shores of beautiful Puget Sound.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:36:50 -0700, "Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in :

I've heard that polyurethane is fuel-proof.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Polyurethane is fuel proof. Used it before.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Polyurethane huh, Cool Thanks. Is that a two part polyurethane or is there a product ready to use available? Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

You can get water-based polyurethane which is a single-pot product.

Reply to
Poxy

Yes, W/B Varathane is fuel proof. I have finished several planes with it. Works great. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Epoxy is as cheap as any other product and will give a guaranteed fuel-proof finish. Simply mix a liberal quantity and dilute it with rubbing alcohol to a consistency good for brushing on. You'll be surprised how far it will go too. Finally, don't worry about the water in the alcohol. It won't hurt anything and it will evaporate.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

I used a non-water based polyurethane (Spar) on my flight box and it has been exposed (frequently) to 30% heli fuel without problems. My advise to you is to buy a good name brand non-water based polyurethane.

I have used water based polyurethane on floats, and the surface finish is not as hard. I do not believe that it would hold up to high nitro as well as the non-water based polyurethanes.

Terry .

Reply to
Low Pass

Mr. Akimoto,

Epoxy requires two parts and you have to mix and thin with alcohol. I agree the it will be absolutely fuel proof to any amount of nitro.

However clear polyurethane is available in a one part spray can, and can be applied in one coat. Just as fuel proof as epoxy.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

After reading everyone's opinion I went with the water based polyurethane, the one that was for outdoor projects. I guess we'll see how it holds up under use. Thanks for all the input. Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

If it is meant for outdoor use, the manufacturer must have found a way of dealing with UV light. That is good to know.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

What brand Kenneth? I'm going to cover some styro floats and I think that might be just the thing. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

The product I used was Varathane brand spar urethane. Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Use some Z-Pozy finishing resin.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have seern some really nice covering jobs done with 1/2 glass cloth and water based over it. Just lay the cloth down and put a thin coat of Varithane over it. I saw a demo and it was about the easiest thing I've seen for covering foam. Conforms to just about any shape. Dry in an hour or less. Product used was Flecto Varathane (outdoor or indoor) Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

What about painting over it? mk

Reply to
MK

Actually that is supposed to be 1/2oz cloth. I have painted over waterbased with butyrate and it sticks like you woudn't believe. The stuff, once it is dry in inert and I think you would be able to use just about anything over it. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler