FMS Sim and wind

Anyone know of a way to turn wind "on" in this sim? Need to work on my cross wind landing technique.

Reply to
Jet Red

FMS has no wind. Just one of the (acceptable 'cos it's free) limitations of this so-called "simulator". If you want an actual model flight simulator, buy Reflex.

Average Heli Person

He must work for Reflex. With respect to FMS, just because its free doesn't mean you should drag it down. Anyway, its not a bad of a simulator and for what its worth, I'd rather put money into planes and engines instead of software code any day.

Reply to
Twinster2

As I recall the programers for FMS have wind down as one of the items on their future development list. FMS is hardly a poor simulator and contains features not found in the two low end simulators I have wasted money on. The english site address is

it and you might be surprised.

FMS has thermals! and a respect for us that fly sailplanes like nobody else on the low end scale. I just wasted $56 on RC Plane Master to find out that the programer's idea of soaring is one thermal / gentlelady type glider and you are supposed to crank up the wind to 10-15 MPH and manuever the glider from a preselected take-off point to a cliff face and do slope soar. The controls on getting the wind direction, the r/c pilot facing the right way and setting up a postion near a cliff are horrid and a waste of a lot of time. When I pressed the designer on his forum to at least add some better slope start locations to the islands, he informed me that his program was designed strictly for powerd flight and the glider was an after thought because a few people asked for it. He has no intentions to waste time on improving his sim for the glider types. When I pointed out that his site did not clearly state it was a power only simulator, the generic word "airplane" did not mean powered flight only and he clearly made a point of showing that he had a glider in the sim the thread vanished from his site. The unregistered demo version had a ME109 only and, my mistake, I assumed that the program would at least equal Easy Fly's set up for slope soaring. Gee, I did not even use bad words, but I was not praising his simulator, so my thread had to go. Another good reason to support rec.models.rc.air, because companies and designers can not delete posts about their products that don't shower them with praise. Free Speech! gotta love it.

I guess I really torked him off by pointing out the features the "free" Fms had like a vario, altitude indicator and thermals. Even Easy Fly has built in cliff postions, an easy to use wind control and a glider that has ailerons to make it a reasonable slope soaring experiance. The guy is also "pirate happy". He does not want people to be able to design their own models to fly in his sim, so you are at his mercy to beg for aircraft you want from him. The last time I checked he now has droped the option to download the software directly from his site & register and you have to order the program on CD because of "too much pirating". Well this guy has real problems if he beleives that putting his program on CD will prevent pirating or even slow it down. As a powered flight sim it is to be honest "fair/good", but between the designers poor attitude and his pirate fetish it will probably never really go anywhere.

So FMS is still my most used low end simulator. From my experiance, I have concluded that there is no point wasting any more money on these low end sims. It is smarter to fly FMS and save the pennys up and buy Real Flight, if one really wants a computer R/C simulator that is a major improvement over what FMS provides for free.

Bob Ruth AMA 720565

Reply to
BobAndVickey