Fox 35, Connecting Rod, Augh!

OK. The motor (Fox 35 stunt) is getting torn down ready to get all the

25 year old gunk off and out in preparation for flight.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the con-rod off! I've got the liner out, no problem (and yes, I remembered to mark it so I'll put it back the right way), but there's just not enough room there to get the end of the con-rod slid off of the crank pin! This is _not_ going as smoothly as my OS Max teardowns!

Any guidance? Is there some special trick to doing this with a Fox 35 that one doesn't need to worry about with an OS? I hesitate to 'just pull hard' unless that's really the way to go -- I have visions of badly scoring the con-rod at best, bending it at worst.

Maybe I'll just swish it around in isopropyl to get the worst of the crud off and call it good...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:03:17 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote in :

Not from me.

Ask these folks?

I never owned or operated on a Fox .35.

Are you familiar with the crock pot / glycol method of degunking? Old-style, poisonous antifreeze; low heat; let the engine soak for a few hours. Don't re-use the crock pot for food ever again; you can get them for just a few bucks and it's not worth the risk to your health. My friend, Dan, gone one for abut $12 at Wal-Mart a few years ago.

He washes his engines in hot soapy water afterward, then oils them up. So far, so good.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The crock pot is poised, if only the engine were disassembled.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:29:45 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote in :

Give it a soak and see if that helps to get it disassembled.

If not, then at least you've gotten it as clean as you can.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

If I remember right, there was enough side play at the wrist pin end that you could slide the whole conrod sideways (well for and aft really) enough to get it off the crankpin. Maybe the wristpin is so gunked up that it won't slide sideways? Good luck

-Rob-

Reply to
ve7eje