Got a .25 "spare" Any suggestions?

Hi

The previous plane had a disagreement with gravity and is not in bits, the engine and gear survived so I'm after something stately rather than screaminly fact (as most small engined planes tend to be) but not a trainer!!

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Gavin

A .25 should be just right (or even a bit much) for a 3-lb, 5 to 6 foot wingspan old timer model. It'll go slow enough that you can fly way ahead of it, it'll thermal, and if you choose the right one you'll even be able to do mild positive-G acrobatics.

If it were me and if the motor would be happy with it I'd prop it down considerably for even more stateliness (and fuel economy).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The Phoenix Models Sonic 25 is available in either a high wing or low wing model from Tower Hobbies:

These are both capable of smooth, easy flying and they are both capable of full standard aerobatics as well. Either ARF would be a fun choice for putting a .25 cu in ball-bearing motor to work.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

AK Models has a good looking .25-sized Extra 300S, Gee Bee,and Cub. That's where one of my .25s might go....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

World Models Rambler .30

World Models 1/8 Cub .26
World Models Air Combat Series
World Models Zen .30
Great Planes Combat Corsair 1/12 scale sport
Global Tequila Sunrise ARF .25
Model Tech ME-109 Messerschmitt
Model Tech Extra 300 .25
Thunder Tiger "Lazy Tiger" P-51 .25
Global AT-6 Texan 25
Sportsman Aiot Ryan STA .25

CJ

Gremlin

Reply to
daytripper

Lots of good suggestions here on CJ's list. The Thunder Tiger Lazy Tiger P51 sounds particularly well suited for what you've got in mind.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Thanks Ed : )). I have been hunting for a home for my unused OS .26 Surpass so I have been looking hard. I am down to the WM Rambler .30 and the World Models Zen .30. Decisions, decisions...

; ) CJ

Reply to
CJ

Ben buckle or similar vintage kit.

'Black Magic' if you can source one is a lovely plane ..rudder flown as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Wescott wrote in news:58-dnYH4L9xVed7ZRVn- snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

I useta have a 3.5 lb, 7' span Ol' Reliable (it's a big old-timer) that was overpowered with an OS .25FP. 'Overpowered' in this context means that it was very difficult to land the plane with the engine running - it would just sort of drift past, a few feet off the ground, not climbing but not really sinking, either.

I loved that plane. Did a lot of hands-off flying, with the Tx sitting on the ground next to me, just watching it circle against the blue.

How do you feel about scratch-building?

Reply to
Mark Miller

Ahem. What about the World Models Extra Sports 30? Superbly made little plane, flies beautifully.

Poxy

Poxy,

Yep, I have that one but I feel it would be a bit underpowered with a .25

2-stroker. I fly mine with an OS .52 Surpass and I wish it had more authority so I left it off the list. If you have this little Extra, Stan's Fiber Tech made me a cockpit cover from fiberglass. He made me two of these for $60 about 4 years ago.

CJ

Reply to
CJ

I flew mine with a 13 year old ASP .40 which had an epoxyed-on carburettor and it went like a scalded cat, which made me think it'd fly reasonably well with a smaller engine. Unfortunately I managed to terminally hurt mine before I needed to look at cockpit mods, although it was such a great little plane, I'm going to have to get me another one some time.

Reply to
Poxy

IMO both of those are too large. For a .26 4S you need to find a heavy .15 sized model or light .25 sized model. A ..26 sized four stroke is going to have about the power of an .18 two stroke.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I am right there with you on the little Extra. It must "think" it is a much larger plane, because it sure does fly smooth for being so little. My favorite thing is to do a loop with a Avalanche at the top. It can do these all day long and make you look good !

Can it hover with a .52 Surpass ? Well, I can hover it but it is more of a scale torque-roll than hover. I bet with a Saito .56 it might .

Reply to
CJ

Not for me, but a friend has scratch built me 2 models so I thought it was tiome I bought a kit :)

Reply to
Gavin

Superb, I was beginning to think I'd have to buy another and make a twin..

Thanks

Reply to
Gavin

I didn't notice it was a 4S. I'd suggest one of the Pilot/Laser kits - they do a very nice .10-.15 size Extra - my mate has one that flies nicely with a very old and mistreated OS .10 (it was originally on an airboat which got dunked dozens of times). However these little planes are designed to be built and flown light - the power to weight ratio of a 4S doesn't really meet these criteria. You need something with a more sympathetic wing loading.

Reply to
Poxy

Mine was never set up for 3D - I went for speed :) Being a noisy little plane, my favourite crowd-pleaser was what I called a "lazy b" (a name which I think is probably already taken). Fly level at altitude and open throttle, then drop the engine to idle and bring on the elevator until it stalls, then dive straight down. As the ground approaches, pull an unpowered half-loop - when the plane is at the top of the loop, reverse the elevator slightly to stop it and let it hang on its back for a moment. Just as it starts to drop, power on and fly out. The change in engine noise, combined with the eerie swish of air as it loops combined with the pause at the top is very dramatic :)

Of course, as I found, if you are somewhere near the end of the tank and your eng> I am right there with you on the little Extra. It must "think" it is

Reply to
Poxy

How about an LT 25?....

Reply to