Modeldecal Problem - Any Suggestions?

I've been putting the decals on a Spitfire and I've hit an unexpected snag. The model is painted in Xtracolor X38 High Speed Silver and I'm using markings from various Modeldecal sheets. I began with the underwing roundels and serial numbers but found that the narrow ring of carrier film around the roundels and the film surrounding the letters and numbers is very conspicuous from most angles. This is not like the silvering that sometimes occurs; instead, the decals look thick and the edges are clearly visible. Over the years, I've used Modeldecals without problems on various gloss painted models despite applying them without using decal solutions. The problem here seems to be the metallic finish. As I shall have to use Modeldecals for the fuselage codes and serials, I need to find a solution to the problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem and come up with a solution? Would it help if I applied a coat of Kleer/Future over the paint before putting the decals on? Does anyone know if Modeldecals can safely be used with Micro Set and Micro Sol or with Humbrol Decalcote? I've never used decal solutions with them as the text that comes with the sheets seems to imply that they shouldn't be used.

In short, any suggestions?

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

I've had similar problems. Modeldecals are all at least twenty years old and they are noticeably thicker than more modern decals. I solved the problem by brushing Future/Klear quite thickly around the edges of the decal. Of course, the semi-gloss metallic lustre will have to be restored later. I've found that by using Alclad2 finishes that the metallic look isn't affected by subsequent varnishing.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Interesting - yes, Modeldecals film *was* thick; in fact, I used pieces of it once to simulate raised panels on a 1/72 model! Worked pretty well, too...

John

Reply to
jthmpson

Even thin clear film will show up over NMF, and Modeldecal film is fairly thick. When applying decals to an NMF, I try to trim off all the clear film around the markings. This isn't difficult for the roundels, but the code letters are more finicky, especially the areas inside the letters. You don't have to go all the way through the paper -- just a light cut; then you tweeze away the clear film once the decal is wet.

I avoid applying any clear coat because it changes the look of the NMF.

Pip Moss

in article 46fc04ba@212.67.96.135, Gordon McLaughlin at snipped-for-privacy@onetel.com wrote on 9/27/07 3:30 PM:

Reply to
Pip Moss

Thanks for the replies.

I've now applied a coat of Kleer to the whole model in an attempt to smooth out the slightly rough texture of the paint. Predictably, it's made no difference to the decals already applied but it might help with the rest. I'll trim the fuselage codes as close to the letters as possible, as suggested, in the hope that the cut edges won't be so obvious.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

It is the outside of numbers and letters that really need to be trimmed. The stuff between letters and inside letters is not as visible as an edge around the outside.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I've decided to remove the serials and replace them, and all other markings, with Xtradecal equivalents. I ordered the decals today but it will be a little while before I have time to do the work.

Thanks for the advice.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin