CNC Milling Machines.... Any Suggestions???

I'm considering building or buying a small, desktop CNC machine. I want it for machining gears and sprockets out of wood - but also to do
some light machining. I have taken CNC classes in College (many moons ago) I am looking for good web sites on information on how to build or retrofit a milling machine, software, etc.
Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe