Health problems from CA?

Hi folks, I just finished my something extra and using mostely CA (KwickBond, appr. 1.5 oz needed). Since I started the project I got severe health problems, mainly flu- and cold-symptoms. Coming and going as they like and no medicine (incl. Antibiotics) could keep it down. This went for 3 month now and just re-started last weekend.

If you wonder why I didn't stop building earlier: I never had any sort of problems in this direction and didn't suspected anything concerning the CA.

Any opinion?

TIA

JensSchumi

Reply to
JS

It's been documented that some individuals exhibit reactions of various types to CA. It's also been shown that prolonged exposure over time can eventually bring out the same reactions.

I quit using CA a long time ago. My suggestion is to switch to something like Elmer's Carpenters glue. It takes longer but not appreciably so. And I find that I derive more enjoyment from the slower pace of construction.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

If it is truly that you haven't caught a real cold/flu from somewhere else then you are sensitised to CA. Antibiotics are absolutley no use against sensitisations - the cure is to remove the things that causes the sensitisation. Incidentally, using antibiotics against colds/flu is also useless as colds/flu are a viral infection. All that you're doing is allowing infections that would normally be treated and cured by antibiotics to evolve immunity.

Bottom line: Use something else to glue your models and stop whining about CA.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

First of all, antibiotics only work on bacterial infections not virus. The Cold and Flu are viral infections, so no point in antibiotics. Who knows what CA fumes can do, but sounds to me they may be making you ill.

Richard

Reply to
Freedom_In_Flying

If you want to truly see the impact of CA do a Google search of this newsgrp using CA as the search argument. It has been well documented. Deadly stuff. Even one tiny whiff of it will set me off for a good 10 to 14 days of misery. I use Weldbond and good old Sigment. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

There has been some stuff going around this year that has taken people several weeks to get over. Not really serious but a pain. Unfortunately many "docs" still dole out the antibiotics even though they know they won't do any good. You didn't insist on them did you??

Stay away from CA and see what happens. Planes were built a long time before CA was used.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Welcome to the club. There are many who suffer from what appears to be an allergic reaction to CA. My symptoms were nasal irritation and sinus issues like I had a bad head cold, minus the headache. The condition lasted close to three weeks after I ceased using CA. Upon switching to alaphetic type glues, the problem has not returned.

Steve Barnett Arnold, MD

Reply to
SBarn18665

Two other good glue types: polyurethan glues and epoxies. But be careful with both of these--they don't produce CA-type fumes, but people can develop allergies to them. I wear vinyl gloves when working with them myself to cut down my exposure. I think I heard an engineer say that anyone who exposes themselves often enough to epoxy will develop an allergic reaction.

That'd be no fun.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

While many of us modelers have no issue with CA, it is entirely likely and probable that a percentage of us cannot tolerate it and should avoid it like the plague. Sounds like Jens you are one of those people, and as such you should simply strike it from your list of adhesives you are able to use. Life goes on, quite well actually without CA, field repairs notwithstanding of course.

It's pretty normal and typical that stuff that sends some people for a loop does zero to others, though I think nearly anyone has the potential to sensitize. In various industries for example, one of the PITA chemcials are isocyanates. These are used in all kind of molded urethane rubber products, as the curative in two part automotive and aircraft finishes, they are the curative in Gorilla Glue and Probond, they cure solid rocket propellants, what else.. I've worked with them for maybe 15 years, and my typical reaction to exposure to vapors from a 100-200kg batch of material containing about 1-1.5% isocyanates, including cleaning the mixer after production, might be a slight sniffle. There are others I work with who after brief exposure to the vapors will develop pimply red rashes on their arms and face. And there are some who can go into anaphylaxis just about at the mention of them. And strangely I did have an anaphylactic reaction to one particular isocyanate about ten years ago, yet I work with it's "brother" on nearly a daily basis without ill effect. The weird world of allergic sensitivity.

Mike Dennett

Reply to
Mike Dennett

However, that does not mean that some form of damage to your health is not occurring. Ventilation is the key with any type of adhesive, paint, fiberglass, ect, heck even the dust from sanding wood has caused an allergic reaction in some people. Good quality ventilation is the key. I used an old furnace blower motor w/fan in a window of the basement of my old house. I could damn near paint with butyrate dope if I wanted (though I never did) The set up really worked well for all around building. Crack the window on one side of the basement, turn the fan on and hang on:)

rick

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

What symptoms? The doc must have written a prescription for some reason besides simple flu symptoms.

CA would aggravate bronchitus (or cause it). I'm fighting off a

3 month old viral run myself... I figure I'll take a reprieve through the winter and really let myself recover.
Reply to
Brian

Hi Brian, Doctors are a bit special here. If they don't know (what happens often) they give you antibiotics and aspirin.

With the bronchitis I'm with you. I had that on an on and off basis all the 3 month. Medication (against dry cough) didn't help at all.

JensSchumi

Reply to
JS

Reply to
Peter and Ruth Baylinson

Gentlemen, thanks for all your good advice. After being 'clean' for a few weeks now I'm absolutely fine again.

Will try to keep it that way :-)

JensSchumi

Reply to
JS

Just keep telling yourself, "Real modelers don't need CA!" :)

Reply to
Chuck Jones