hobbytron........electric plane

Hello, I bought this plane late in the fall last year. Having problems trying to find a place to fly it. Today I found a site that is for rc planes.....I guess motorized ones. It says on the sign there that you have to have a licence to fly there. Also you have to put the freq. of the plane on a board there. Where the heck to you get a licence for flying rc planes? Oh forgot to mention that this little plane is electric. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

Most fields are owned/operated by clubs. Most require an AMA license to fly due mainly to insurance concerns. Find who operates the field, usually on the sign, and call them...

planes.....I

Reply to
Woody

| Hello, I bought this plane late in the fall last year. Having | problems trying to find a place to fly it. Today I found a site | that is for rc planes.....I guess motorized ones. It says on the | sign there that you have to have a licence to fly there.

As the other poster said, you probably need to be an AMA member.

The AMA card does say license, but it's not a license like your driver's license. Basically it just means you're an AMA member, and the important thing here is that it provides insurance, and that's what the club is mostly worried about.

You don't need an AMA card to fly anywhere, unless the owners of the property require it (and the club probably does.) As for insurance, if you have a homeonwer's or renter's policy, that probably covers your flying as well (but ask to be sure) but many (most?) clubs will only accept AMA insurance.

| Also you have to put the freq. of the plane on a board there.

That's so no two people use the same frequency at the same time. It's important. You should also make sure you don't fly within 3 miles or so from this club (like if you find a park or something) without making some sort of arrangements with people there so you don't accidently use the same frequencies as them.

If there's not a frequency board like that, always go up to any other fliers near you and ask what frequency they're on BEFORE you turn on. And if a new guy shows up, tell him what frequency you're on. (If you're flying at a park, other guys may show up as well and fly.)

| Where the heck to you get a licence for flying rc planes?

It's not really a license as you think of one, but what you're probably looking for is here --

| Oh forgot to mention that this little plane is electric.

You didn't forget. It's in the Subject. :)

Most cities don't prohibit electric planes in their parks, so assuming you're not in one of the cities that do, you can probably fly it at a local park. You'll need a large park, and it needs to be just about empty -- even a small electric plane can hurt somebody badly if it hits them. Never fly it anywhere near people, and not over people either.

As mentioned earlier, don't fly at a park within 3 miles of that club unless you've made arrangements with them. Many clubs are actively hostile to making those sorts of arrangements, so it's probably best to either fly with them (being an AMA member) or more than 3 miles away from them.

You might want to go to the club when people are flying and talk to them about it. Most clubs are busiest on sundays, with saturday being the second busiest day. Most of the people are pretty friendly, but you might need to walk up to somebody and introduce yourself first. Bring your plane, though they probably can't let you fly until you join the AMA.

Some people like to dismiss the small park fliers as `toys' or `not worth their time'. There's some truth to that, as they're usually simple to fly and sometimes aren't much fun for more experienced pilots, but they're often great for learning, especially if you don't have somebody to show you the ropes. And don't underestimate the benfits of being able to fly almost anywhere, and not needing a box of tools to fly!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Dunno. Probly means you havce to join the club.

Oh forgot to mention that this

Chances are its on 27Mhz. Wait till you fnd someone flying ther and ask them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all of the information.

The site mentioned above is in a forest preserve........Lake Co. ILL. I found their website and from the pictures I saw there I doubt I`ll be flying my little plane there.

Thats what I have been looking for......a large park where I can fly it. Hard to find here in ILL. with all the sub. sprawl. There are some parks but here but usually alot of people there and I can`t fly over people. I did a nose dive right into the ground one time and if someone was there it might have killed them. Even this little plane that is. My plan was to learn to fly this plane......... it is electric.....doh....it has up, down, left, right, and throttle controls. For the price it is a cool little plane to learn on. I got a few weekends flights last fall before it got too cold. I did quite well for a beginner with no help if you ask me.....no major crashes except for that nose dive into the ground. Even with that crash the plane was still in good shape for further flights. I want to get the hang of it.........like.....almost no crashes......then move up to a larger motorized plane and fly with the big boys. :)

I understand now the board thing to put up your freq. so as not to intefere with others on the same freq.

I plan to do just that. I am going to the field tomm. Sat. to check it out again. I doubt it will be open though. The snow has just this week finally melted away here. It would be quite muddy there. You never know though....it`s only a 10 min. drive. Thanks again for all of the information. Dan.......

Reply to
Mason121