How do I clean up the outside of an old engine?

Is there anyone who can tell me how to clean up the outside of an old engine? I currently use fantastic and sometimes steel wool, but am looking for something to do a better job. I am just starting to collect engines and would like to make those that I have look better.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Sylvia

Antifreeze in an old crockpot

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Aircraft Coating Remover, mar-hyde brand Tal-Strip II. Available in most auto supply houses.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Bob, you may wind up actually DECREASING the value of the engines if you attempt to remove all the surface grit and grime. I suggest that you contact MECOA (Model Engine Collectors of America) for guidance.

You also might want to contact Frank Anderson who sells the "Blue Book" for antique engines, and who should point you at the best reference for cleaning the engines without reducing their value.

The suggestions are great if you want to clean an engine and then restore it to flying condition (eg, the SAM events). Also, be advised that the metal in older engines may react with the cleaning agent. Worst case scenario would usually be a dissoved engine (shouldn't be any noxious fumes -- hopefully....)

Reply to
byrocat

I buy gallon containers of Marvel Mystery Oil and submerse the whole thing. I leave mine for a week or two then take out and clean with an old toothbrush. It has always worked well for me.

I have never tried the antifreeze in the crockpot thing but have heard this solution for as long as I have been in R/C.

CJ

Reply to
CJ

If you just want to clean the outside a can of automotive carburetor cleaner and a soft bristled brush will remove the fuel residue.

You can also try the electric motor cleaner(blast-off, etc.) afterwards, as the carb cleaner tends to leave a little bit of a residue.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I had always heard of it also, so I bought a $20 crockpot at Wally World and have cleaned 4 engines thus far on 2 quarts of antifreeze and it will do more. One engine was so baked with castor that the fins on the head were almost covered. 6 hours at 250 degrees F in the crock pot took it all off and I have resumed flying the engine. I have never seen any surface damage to the finish.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Invest in a sonic cleaner ;)

Chris

Reply to
chris-s

Cripes, you know a brick is goin to be hurled at you but you still pop your head up to have a look but::

Has anyone ever used something like a badger abrasive airbrush to clean off the crap on a model engine?

Techncial

Regards

Declan Barry

Reply to
Technical

Reply to
icerinkdad

I would do nothing that has the potential to remove metal. The crock pot idea works but do not use the high setting on the crockpot as that seems to promote corrosion in the aluminum used in some engines. Rinse the engine completely with hot water and dry in a 250 degree oven. Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad

i bought a crock pot at a garage sale but as yet,haven't tried antifreeze someone mentioned that demon cleaner works well.Has anyone tried the demon cleaner?

thanks .ken

Reply to
kroflite54

I use hot water and a washing tablet, worked for me 10 years of grime gone overnight.

Reply to
Jimmy_H

Try the antifreeze - you need to leave it in there for a couple of hours at least, if not overnight. It works remarkably well and appears to do no harm whatsoever to the metal. My theory as to why it works so well is that the antifreeze is able to rise to a very high temperature which melts the crap on the engine. You do need to give it a scrub with an old toohbrush or similar.

Reply to
Poxy

I'm wondering if soda blasting (as in sodium bicarbonate - baking soda) would do the trick. I'm sure glass bead would work, but not sure what it might do to some of the finer details on the castings and machined parts.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The blasting techniques will work good for hard deposits but may not be as effective for partially burned stuff like castor.

I would also not want to use any hard abrasives near machined surfaces including threads.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I've bead blasted Grade 8 bolts with no harm to the threads and the aluminum stuff I've bead blasted in preparation for polishing hasn't shown any signs of material removal, but for the really small stuff.. I think I'd opt for soda or maybe some plastic blasting media..

Walnut shells might work as well.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego