I would like some help getting into electric flight - Victoria BC

Hi, I've been bitten by the flying bug, but don't know where to turn. I have been reading a lot of opinions and articles, but now I want to start flying! I would like to end up with a model that I can fly in our local parks and fields. I am tempted to get something like a Firebird XL and teach myself to fly, but would prefer some advice or hands on experience from someone who is already flying.

I don't have any flying experience, but am familiar with the basic idea. I have been getting a lot of time with a simulator, using a joystick, but I can't imagine that it is even close to the real thing. Does anyone in Victoria have a transmitter type interface they could rent/loan/sell me?

What I'd really like, though, is for some kindly pilot to drop me a note if they are going to go out flying, so I can come out to watch. I promise to not to beg for a turn, but I wouldn't turn it down either! I think that I am most interested in electric park or slowfliers, but I would enjoy seeing whatever you fly.

I would ask for help from the Victoria Model club, but right now their web site is down, and I believe their focus is on glow/gas models.

Perhaps a firebird would be a good way to go? Has anyone outgrown theirs and would like to sell it?

Thanks, Colin

Reply to
Colin

Zillions on ebay. Not a bad choice for a first.

Otherwise try GWS slow stick

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hey Colin,

I'm also in Vic, been out of the hobby for a few years and am just getting back into it. I felt the same way about the club around here, they said I was welcome to fly electric, or small stuff, "if I wanted to" but their priority seems to be larger stuff. I used to fly .20 - .80's at the field, but membership became a little steep for me.

It seems the membership payed off for those that stuck with the club though, we have the first fully zoned model aerodrome in Canada now :)

Model aircraft get own field of dreams:

Almost makes me want to rejoin them, but I'm gonna go the park-flyer route this time (gravel pit near my house).

Drop me a note. All things going well, I'll be flying again this spring. I'm in the Western Communities... Steve

Reply to
Steve Morley

go to

subscribe, and ask in the open forum.

Better advice and feedback than any club I've been to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher