Is it just me?

Nope, not much traffic lately. I don't want to blame it on the constant arguing that seems to be going on in this group, but it doesn't help.
Best, Ken.
--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
Ed Cregger wrote:

All gone to rcgroups or rcuniverse m8.
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:16:46 -0400, "Ed Cregger"

Hi Ed-
Yeah, it's just you <G>.
I think a couple of other posters were on track as why the traffic is diminishing - one of the real benefits of this and other UseNet forums has been conservation of bandwidth, and that advantage is dropping in value as bandwidth becomes cheaper. I do think a waning of interest is also a factor. This forum has been mostly oriented toward 'traditional' IC powered RC models and club flying sites, and the real growth in our hobby/sport seems to be happening with electric power and models that can be flown outside of the club site venue. That trend to quiet electric power has been happening inside the club arena in clubs I belong to as well. Not knocking it, but rather joining in for my part. Anyway, I think if you make a visit to Ezone, you'll see what I am talking about, and where the young people we don't see at the club sites are. Threads hundreds of posts long, and a volume of traffic that is increasing at a much faster pace than the fall-off in traffic in this group. Model aviation is very much alive and well, and the discussion about it lively, but not so much in the form (or forum) that has been familiar to us.
Abel

You have made an interesting observation, Abel, and one that I tend to agree with, now that I have thought about it.
I too have become interested in electric flight, but not to the point that I have many questions to ask. I'm still in the Wingo stage, more or less.
Many of the traditional IC type builders/flyers still are not connected to the net. Many of those that are, are shy about getting online. Some have reservations because they feel bad about not knowing how to type. That one I never figured out, because no one knows how long it takes for you to type your message but you! And no one cares anyway. Some feel bad about not spelling very well. The latter are usually just far enough behind the computer learning curve to not know that most newsgroup software has a spelling checker built in.
While I enjoy new and different facets of modeling (sp?), I have become interested in building and flying models that I really enjoyed in the seventies. I just received a fresh copy of Kaos plans from RCM's Plans Service and look forward to producing various sizes of the original Kaos. It flies like no other model. Not even the Super Kaos flies as well to me.
Over the years I have yearned for a scorching hot version of the B-58 Hustler. My all time favorite airplane. Instead, I am thinking about fooling around with Bruce Tharpe's Delta Vortex.
Since someone already made a giant version that is powered with a Zenoah G62, I have scrapped that plan and now am thinking about modifying the standard kit by using three .34 size engines for power (or more). Can you imagine how that will present in the air with three or four screaming two-strokes? <G>
Ed Cregger
Abel Pranger wrote:

One aspect of the web forums that I find a little confusing compared to usenet is that I often find it unclear *who* is being replied to. Admittedly I don't often visit them, and maybe I'm missing some subtle clue. However unless the poster quotes what they're replying to, or mentions the person that they're replying to by name, the threading is a lot less clear than on usenet.
--
John P. - who flies on Epsom Downs, UK.
http://www.flyrc.org.uk /
Ed Cregger Wrote:

Nah Ed, Most of us have moved on to moved on to the web based group do to the crap here in the newsgroups. The moderated forums harbor more plesent atmosphere and are less threatening tha rec.models.rc.air. Seems most do not really like reading the junk tha is passed around here anymore and have found that their questions ar answered with a quality answer rather than a bagger or belittlement
-- starca
----------------------------------------------------------------------- starcad's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid 7 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid8624

Problem is, the badgerers and belittlers are on those forums too. And if you watch over time, you'll see a slow relaxing of the restrictions. Just check out any AMA related thread and you'll see some of the old rec.models.rc.air showing itself. Or should I say, themselves! Just a matter of time!
I think interest is waning since AOL dropped the Group. My link with it now is crummy and hard to navigate. I'm in RCU more and more and in here less and less. RCU is great. No flame wars, no badly foul language, no off topic posts, just good plane talk. You'll see me less and less in here.
Dr.1

Bon voyage, Dr.1!
Many happy landings ...
            Marty
Spending a lot of time mowing our two flying sites....AND flying. Not so much time in the NG right now. But then we fly and mow year 'round here in Florida! ;-)

It sounds like you're having a good time, Jim. Keep it up.
Ed Cregger

Fun Fun Fun!