Is the blade on RC plane dangerous?

Just wondering something that flies 10000 rounds a minute,
it may become dangerous during landing when the blade hit grass and got
loose.
Will a ductfan make it more safer?
Reply to
Friendship
Probably.
All props are dangerous, and most of us have scars to prove it, and some have less than the usual number of fingers. Its called 'giving the finger to the hobby'
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Actually, the most dangerous time is just after the engine has been started. Studies have shown that a large number of injuries from props occur when people are doing something around the engine and hit the prop.
Sure, but so will learning, and using, proper safety practices when working with engines.
Reply to
C G
If you expect the prop arc to intersect the ground by design then you need to stop the motor before landing. Trivial on an electric and not difficult with a gas motor.
Duct fan is safer all around, but it is heavier and costs more than a prop.
Reply to
Steve Banks
Thanks for the warning. While in a store yesterday, I turned the blade of a cheap EPP model and was impressed by the electric motor's unusually powerful magnetic pressure.
I guess gas motors are still started by flipping the blade with your finger.
Reply to
John Doe
Evem the smallest electric is around teh 010/020 type finger gashing level.
I read yesterday of the new Acro brushless - about 2.4Kw - so what? about equivalent to a 35cc chainsaw engine?
Electric starter rammed up against the spinner mostly. It gets fairly heavy to flip even a .40 although I have assuredly done it.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
And who that flies prop drive aircraft hasn't done that? ;^) Granted some of us haven't the displeasure of doing that with anything larger than a 36. BTDT don't recommend it to anyone.
Reply to
Keith Schiffner
You think maybe a smaller prop or a longer landing gear might be a better long term solution. Heaven help us!
Reply to
strathboy
Nym shifting troll.
"strathboy" wrote:
newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.rogers.com!news.rogers.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
sv3-Y0bcXTIPLFzFGqETWwfY9E5z0JjQeFGJiGw28lQkxJEZ6h2xVzRkM/vUj7qTU4RFCKhoY7hRampVhVm!DqnxjZUDZ9sBJnyI6YdsnFP9KbdWLQmVpx+XqjEWxdehmxrVt5slrKIBXvofjO79LLSesLUT1w==
Reply to
John Doe
Actually I was thinking of a belly lander/hand launcher, no landing gear and a prop selected for its flight poperties. I didn't know why the poster was overly concerned with the prop hitting the ground otherwise. I was going to make a lawnmower analogy and say that those blades don't come loose when they "hit the grass" 8)
Reply to
Steve Banks

Site Timeline