Jets and Grass Runways

Had a couple of jet guys at our field sometime last week and now our runway is full of burnt streaks wherever they taxied and ran them up. Jets are new to our field. Club members are up in arms because it spoiled the looks of our runway. I'm not sure if the damage is permanent of it it is just a temorary blight. Do any of you have actual experience with this?

Phil AMA

Reply to
pcoopy

Shouldn't be a problem. I've attended a high-power rocket launch that was held on a sod farm, and talk about some burn streaks!! It should grow out.

George

Reply to
George Ball

Every tear in the spring I set my lawn on fire, much to the consternation of my neighbors. It removes all the old dead thatch and a few weeks later I have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood.

A few of the other folks have caught on to what is happening and I am no longer alone in my spring ritual.

I wouldn't worry about the black streaks...

Reply to
W4JLE

It will, but it takes time.

Burning may have actually destroyed the root structure. If it has, it will take a year or so.

Use of flame guns is a valid way of doing soil sterilisation - not only does it kill what's growing, but also any intinerant seeds. It also kills the bacteria and fungi needed to decompose the organic materials back to compost. Which is why specific weedkillers are more often used these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had done the same thing after seeing my neighbor burn his leaves in his yard. Though I did it in the fall and at a different location each year (we had woods behind the house). Sure enough, the grass comes in very green and full, only had taken two years or so to get the whole yard (2 acres worth) looking good.

rick markel

Reply to
Aileron37

consternation......

Not standing in the smoke should avoid that.......

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Good catch Bill, It was supposed to be year :>)

Reply to
W4JLE